Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   marking pens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-pens-t258716.html)

ManiacQuilter2 12-27-2014 01:43 PM

I have used blue painter's tape. I start diagonally in the middle of the quilt and work out to one corner. Be sure to keep referring to your first reference line to make sure you are keeping all your marked lines the same width. I then will stitch those lines working my way from the center of the quilt. Then remove the tape and start on the other half of the quilt. You will need to repeat this process three more times.

SoftBlockLady 12-27-2014 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7023328)
I have used blue painter's tape. I start diagonally in the middle of the quilt and work out to one corner. Be sure to keep referring to your first reference line to make sure you are keeping all your marked lines the same width. I then will stitch those lines working my way from the center of the quilt. Then remove the tape and start on the other half of the quilt. You will need to repeat this process three more times.

Hello ManicQuilter2........if I start at the center and work my way to the corner...don't I just flip it around and do the other half? Why 3 more times.

SoftBlockLady 12-27-2014 02:15 PM

I think I have a bigger problem..........was I suppose to do the marking before I basted the backing on? I did the thread basting and its only about 2-3 finger widths apart. I was going to SITD at first but decided I want to be a bit more daring. I realize now that nowhere did I read or see anything telling me what order I should do it in. All the videos that showed markings on the quilt sandwiches so I didn't no if it was done before or after it was put together.

SoftBlockLady 12-27-2014 02:18 PM

Hi quiltingbuddy...........how can you iron the quilt if your using poly batten?

SoftBlockLady 12-27-2014 02:20 PM

Hi Tartan..............I think chalk may be the way to go. I have never seen a box of chalk like that but I will go searching. Where do you get the sharpener?

susanwilley 01-01-2015 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by meyert (Post 7021117)
I have used the blue painters tape, but I find the wider tape sticks better. the narrow tape kept coming off the quilt.. not sure why. My favorite way to mark my quilts now is the Crayola washable markers. Other members on the board have used other brands with success. I buy the fine point markers and love them. They always wash out... but I do pretreat with Dawn dish soap before I wash.

I use the Crayola markers too! Love them! I don't pretreat and have never had any problems washing out!

ShelleyCS 01-01-2015 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by SoftBlockLady (Post 7023386)
Hi Tartan..............I think chalk may be the way to go. I have never seen a box of chalk like that but I will go searching. Where do you get the sharpener?

Staples in Windsor should have them, and you can probably get a sharpener in the makeup department at Shoppers.

Tartan 01-01-2015 08:52 AM

I think I got the white chalk at Walmart but any good brand of white chalk will do. I would not use coloured chalk as the dyes in coloured chalk may not come out. The make up sharpener I got fr the make up big lip pencils you sharpen. I wonder if you could find a sharpener with the children's supplies for sharpening the big red HB pencils or maybe the hardware stores for sharpeners for construction pencil?