Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   marking pens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-pens-t258716.html)

SoftBlockLady 12-25-2014 07:46 AM

marking pens

Hello everyone.............could I have opinions on the best, affordable, marking pens that disappear or have an end that you can erase. I'm terrified to mark my quilt for fear that the marks won't come out. I live in Canada so I don't have access to all brands. Has anyone used tape to mark long straight lines. It will be on the diagonal so I don't know where to start and if it will pull the top out of shape. I won't to do the double argyle using my walking foot. I don't have an arm to use with this foot.

PaperPrincess 12-25-2014 07:53 AM

Yes, tape will work. YOu want to get the blue painter's tape. If you are exceedingly concerned, you can stick the tape down on a piece of scrap fabric, pull it off, then apply it to your quilt. It will get a bit linty and less sticky. Let the tape stay on the quilt the shortest amount of time. Hours not days. You can remove & reposition the tape a couple times before it becomes unuseable.

meyert 12-25-2014 01:05 PM

I have used the blue painters tape, but I find the wider tape sticks better. the narrow tape kept coming off the quilt.. not sure why. My favorite way to mark my quilts now is the Crayola washable markers. Other members on the board have used other brands with success. I buy the fine point markers and love them. They always wash out... but I do pretreat with Dawn dish soap before I wash.

ckcowl 12-25-2014 01:11 PM

Just do not use regular masking tape, it leaves a messy sticky residue behind!
The purple water erase pens work well, so does chalk, ceramic pencil, the blue air erase pens...there are lots of options that work. For years I stuck with a regular mechanical pencil. I never had a problem removing marks. I have the past few years started using others too. The keys to success are:
1. Prewash your fabric ( some products just don't work well on fabrics that still have the sizing, chemicals in them.)
2. Read the instructions on the package! Some markers will come right out unless you touch them with an iron & heat- set that ink- then its permanent. Some markers disappear with an iron, but don't get it wet.- read the instructions, know what you are using.... Everything has its own method that works.

And lastly, but Most Important...
3. Always,Always, Always test your choice to make sure it comes out before you mark a whole quilt!

Tartan 12-25-2014 02:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I use painter's tape for quilting straight lines. I put a few pins in it also to keep it in place. On dark fabrics I use white cardboard chalk. I sharpen it into a nice point with a make up pencil sharpener.

maryb119 12-25-2014 07:32 PM

I use tape for straight lines and it works great. I like the idea of sharpening chalk sticks to a point and using them. Thanks! I learned something today!

FroggyinTexas 12-25-2014 08:04 PM

I love the Frixion pens. They come in four colors and the markings disappear when you press with a warm/n]hot iron. The marks will come back if you put your quilt in the refrigerator but disappear again when you press them. If you were to leave a quilt in your car in the winter in Ontario, you might need to press again. But in Texas, mostly we could just leave the quilt outside in the sun and get rid of the marks. I hope you find something you like. froggyintexas

JackieQuilts 12-25-2014 08:12 PM

Regarding the frixion pens, does the ink wash out when the quilt is washed? I just bought some but have not used them yet.

Dolphyngyrl 12-25-2014 08:46 PM

I love clover for air and water soluable

117becca 12-26-2014 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts (Post 7021429)
Regarding the frixion pens, does the ink wash out when the quilt is washed? I just bought some but have not used them yet.

yes, I (& others) have had success w/ the ink washing out when the quilt is washed.

I do love frixion pens! I use them exclusively now.