Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Marking with Pounce - Suggestions? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/marking-pounce-suggestions-t31880.html)

crashnquilt 12-19-2009 09:09 AM

I do use the pounce powder but I not longer use the pounce pads for the very reason you speak. Put the powder into a bowl and use the cheap foam brushes to brush it over the stencils.

You can also use baby powder, corn starch, or regular flour for marking. I prefer baby powder then give it a light spray with AquaNet hairspray to hold it. But you will have to wash the quilt when you are finished.

Tiffany 12-19-2009 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jljack
I have to tell you...my DH lived in Ridgecrest before we got married, and then moved to Bakersfield with me. He complained of it feeling humid to him for about two years, till he got used to it. Me, I came from L.A. and moved to Bakersfield because it's drier and helps my sinuses. Go figure!!

Now that is funny! At least hubby escaped from Ridgecrest! Horrid, horrid place. :thumbdown: My daughter and son-in-law live there with my grandson. He is being layed off (SIL, not grandson; job got eliminated) & we are trying to get him a job up here so they can move here. Quick, everyone pray they move up here please!!! I can't begin to tell you how excited I would be to have my grandson around all the time. We are best buds, talk almost daily on the phone, & I bet he would be more interested in learning to quilt then either of my daughters were. :D

You are right, R/C is very dry, only about 30% humidity at the most. I used to swelter when going to Bakersfield. Is the Strawberry Patch quilt store still open?

amma 12-19-2009 11:37 AM

Woo Hoo!!! Prayers being said!!! Find DS a job quick!!!:D:D:D

kluedesigns 12-19-2009 11:42 AM

i use the pounce pads and when i start with a new pad i run an old brush back and forth over the pad to loosen up the fibers.

Tiffany 12-19-2009 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Woo Hoo!!! Prayers being said!!! Find DS a job quick!!!:D:D:D

Thanks Amma!! From your mouth to God's ears! :-D

Leota 12-19-2009 08:51 PM

Prayers are going up.

Tiffany 12-20-2009 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Leota
Prayers are going up.

Thanks Leota!

amma 12-20-2009 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jljack

Originally Posted by amma
the video I seen had you smack it multiple times to prime it... Did your chalk draw some dampness?

Hummmm---actually I don't really think humidity is my problem....we are extremely dry this year. What chalk I do get out seems the right texture, just not enough. They were brand new when I got them, so maybe I haven't really pounded on them enough. I have plenty of chalk, so maybe I'll so pound my pouncers to see if it helps.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Did you do like Bob Ross the painter always said? and "Beat the devil out of them?" LOL Are they working for you yet?

Tiffany 12-21-2009 12:20 PM

Would it work to take a fine needle and poke a bunch of little holes in the pounce pad?

stitchhappy 04-13-2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany
Would it work to take a fine needle and poke a bunch of little holes in the pounce pad?

I like the hint to run an old brush over the pad to lossen the fibers. I think that would work.