Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/martelli-rotary-cutters-blades-advice-please-t252111.html)

dufflin 08-21-2014 05:14 AM

Martelli

I have used a Martelli rotary cutter for years. I have carpal tunnel syndrome and it has really been the difference between pain and no pain. I use different brands of blades in it and it works just fine, however, I think the Martelli blades stay sharper and last longer.

Travelin2some 08-21-2014 05:20 AM

I have a severe condition ( RSD) in my left wrist arm, and hand which hinders my using a rotary cutter well and without strong discomfort. I have found the Martelli cutter to be the best for accuracy , comfort and longer lasting blades. I have used other brand of blades, but Martelli blades seem to last longer and are sharper in my opinion. Every condition is different, however. And that is why we have choices.........thankfully :)

lynntelson 08-21-2014 06:25 AM

Martelli

Originally Posted by winia (Post 6850694)
I have a Martelli rotary cutter, and I use blades in it other than Martelli. They work fine. I have no problem. In fact, I have a left-handed Martelli rotary cutter. It makes a difference for me in the maneuvering and pressure needed on the rotary blade.

What blades do you use in the Martelli, that aren't Martelli?

lynntelson 08-21-2014 06:28 AM

What blades other than Martelli do you use in the Martelli cutter?

cwcquilters 08-21-2014 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by saf (Post 6850614)
Like many of us I have arthritis which is making cutting more painful than comfortable despite sharp blades. I have been thinking of changing from an Olfa to a Martelli cutter. I have also just been given a present of 10 new blades from my husband who believes that I have been trying to make do so I have more to spend on fabric. Not so. my question is will I be able to use these blades in a Martelli cutter? I certainly don't want to have to buy more and waste the new one I have.

I use Marteli blades in my Fiskars without problems.

sxboyer 08-21-2014 06:32 AM

I use the Martelli cutter, and generally get my blades from Harbor Freight. It needs the blades with the center circle.

suzanprincess 08-21-2014 07:44 AM

I LOVE my Martelli, but I also still use my Dritz sometimes. Have not tried the other ergonomic ones. I've been using Fiskar blades in both, since that's what I got a great deal on at Jo-Ann's a while back, and have found no problems in using them in the Martelli.

I did buy several packages at Harbor Freight, which was a waste of $10; not one of 10 blades I've tried cut worth a darn. Did not take them back because it would have cost more in gas than I'd have gotten in a refund, as the HF fairly close by closed.

sewmuch 08-21-2014 08:46 AM

My Martelli cutter uses other blades just fine.....

Angel Bear 08-21-2014 09:14 AM

I have serious arthritis in my shoulder (need a shoulder replacement) and had reached the point where I couldn't use any of my rotary cutters. I had to get my husband to cut any fabric I needed and that was very frustrating for me. After some research, last year I ordered the Martelli rotary cutter and I can once again cut my fabric. I still can't cut all day, but it is wonderful to be able to cut what I need as I need it. It may be different with wrist or hand problems, but I'm thrilled with my cutter. The blade is so sharp and lasts so much longer than any other brand I've tried in my other cutters that I will only use Martelli replacement blades in mine.

scrapngmom 08-21-2014 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by lynntelson (Post 6853694)
What blades do you use in the Martelli, that aren't Martelli?

I use the carpet cutting blades from Harbor Freight in mine.