Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/martelli-rotary-cutters-blades-advice-please-t252111.html)

saf 08-19-2014 12:26 AM

martelli rotary cutters and blades advice please

Like many of us I have arthritis which is making cutting more painful than comfortable despite sharp blades. I have been thinking of changing from an Olfa to a Martelli cutter. I have also just been given a present of 10 new blades from my husband who believes that I have been trying to make do so I have more to spend on fabric. Not so. my question is will I be able to use these blades in a Martelli cutter? I certainly don't want to have to buy more and waste the new one I have.

patricej 08-19-2014 01:32 AM

martelli cutters require martelli blades.
however, since everyone i know who uses martelli cutters raves about how wonderful they are, it will probably be worthwhile for you to invest in one + blades.
(see if you can find somebody who already has one so you can do a test drive first.)

if you do switch brands - and if you haven't yet opened the package - maybe you can find a shop that will let you trade your olfa blades for fabric. that's a long shot, but there'd be no harm in asking.

PaperPrincess 08-19-2014 03:31 AM

I have a Martelli cutter and use Martelli blades. I also have an Olfa. For me, switching back and forth between the two offers the most comfort. Although I really like the Martelli it seems that switching positions works really well.

winia 08-19-2014 03:35 AM

I have a Martelli rotary cutter, and I use blades in it other than Martelli. They work fine. I have no problem. In fact, I have a left-handed Martelli rotary cutter. It makes a difference for me in the maneuvering and pressure needed on the rotary blade.

dms 08-19-2014 03:40 AM

I have a Martelli and what I like best is how easy it is to change blades. Also, I use other blades besides the Martelli. Good luck with making your decision.

ManiacQuilter2 08-19-2014 03:42 AM

I switch to using the Prym Dritz Sensitive Rotary cutter. I am not a big fan of Dritz, but my best friend told me it helped her. I also switch between this one and the Olfa 28mm.

luana 08-19-2014 04:17 AM

I agree with PaperPrincess, I also switch between the Martelli and Olfa. Changing the position of my hand brings the most relief.

NJ Quilter 08-19-2014 05:16 AM

I would agree with seeing if you can find one to test drive first. I know another quilter who absolutely hates the martelli cutter.

KalamaQuilts 08-19-2014 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 6850631)
martelli cutters require martelli blades.
however, since everyone i know who uses martelli cutters raves about how wonderful they are, it will probably be worthwhile for you to invest in one + blades.

Rather a sweeping statement...I didn't like it at all.

edited to add, do you have the curved handle olfa? That is all I use now, got rid of the straight handle ones. My hands are 62 years old and need all the comfort and care they can get. Olfa provides that.

Crqltr 08-19-2014 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter (Post 6850890)
I would agree with seeing if you can find one to test drive first. I know another quilter who absolutely hates the martelli cutter.

I also think you should test drive it. I invested in the whole set up at a Show and don't like it at all. The safety part of the handle broke right after I got it.