Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mask making trouble (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mask-making-trouble-t312169.html)

bkay 08-17-2020 03:26 PM

Mask making trouble

This is my first mask making adventure, as my sister wants some cloth masks. I bought some cute fabric for masks made by Moda. It's the one with the three folds in it. I'm having trouble getting my machine to sew through all 12 layers of fabric (where the folds are) when you do the last step, which is to sew all around the mask. My primary machine is a mid-century Singer Slant-o-matic 401a. I'm using a #14 sharp needle. I just changed it. I also have a 201-2 that is easy to get to, as is my 301.

I'm switching to the other style of masks after I use this fabric. This style is a real pain, but the fabric is really cute and I've already purchased it and cut the backing for it. .

Any suggestions?
bkay

Tartan 08-17-2020 03:35 PM

I do the Craftpassion free mask pattern. I like that I don’t have to fiddle with it once it is on as it stays in position.

Iceblossom 08-17-2020 03:36 PM

In the pleated masks I was making I was using binding instead of elastic since we were out early here. The thickness comes when you are making the casing for the elastic? Or do the directions have you stack the pleats right on top of each other instead of more of a Z fold?

bkay 08-17-2020 04:39 PM

The instructions say to sew the top and then the bottom, leaving about 3" to turn it. Then sew the sides, with the elastic ends inside the edge. Turn it, press it. Then, pleat it, then sew the outside edge all round, including the turned edge. Sewing around that outside edge is when my machine balks. I counted layers and there are 12. It's just quilting cotton, though. It kind of reminds me of trying to hem jeans. I thought about using my walking foot, but haven't tried it yet.
bkay

DebJMills 08-17-2020 04:39 PM

Joann’s had a pattern posted on their site with lines indicating folds. The pleats are more of a z fold so while there are a few layers, it isn’t 12. If you have a walking foot, that helps go through the bulk.

Your pattern instructions seem like the same type pattern.

sewingpup 08-17-2020 04:58 PM

Have you tried one of your other machines? I heard that the 301 is a real workhorse.....I vaguely remember something about the machines with a slant foot having difficulty with some types of stitching? I have broken a needle when stitching the corners on masks where the elastic is inserted.

quiltingshorttimer 08-17-2020 05:04 PM

I'm using the Moda panel for masks for son's family--I sewed and turn the 2 layers, then did the pleats and closed the turn opening. then I attached the bias "channels" to put the elastic through. yes--it's hard on machines!

Peckish 08-17-2020 05:09 PM

Twelve layers??? I've never seen one that made you sew through twelve layers! I think I'd switch patterns.

OurWorkbench 08-17-2020 05:34 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb, here, and suggest a smaller sharp (not universal point) needle (if thread size is okay). Many years ago, when I sewed some denim jeans for my kid, I did the seams with a smaller needle for the seams and of course had to go larger for the top stitching. It worked really slick. Another thing that helped when got to a thick seam was to stitch up to almost the seam where the presser foot was starting to angle, was to stop and put something (folded cloth or cardboard) under the back of the presser foot so that the presser foot was parallel to the bed of the machine.and continue stitching. I now have a plastic piece like a Jean-a-ma-jig or hump jumper.

I thought the 201 would be good, too. I saw that someone did a pleated mask with a Rocketeer and didn't have any problems, nor did they raise the back of the presser foot.

Hope this helps. I haven't tried the pleated masks, yet. I've altered the masks that I have made to have a casing for either a stitched bias binding tie or a t-shirt cut 1" thick and stretched.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.

bearisgray 08-17-2020 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 8410924)
Twelve layers??? I've never seen one that made you sew through twelve layers! I think I'd switch patterns.

The pleated masks do have twelve layers for top stitching where the pleats are - plus the elastic.

I use a stiletto to "help" keep it moving. I use a sharp or microtex. Not a ballpoint or universal.