Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Matters of Opinion (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/matters-opinion-t93516.html)

cherrio 01-24-2011 01:58 PM

I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.

mommamac 01-24-2011 02:01 PM

I'm sure he will love it - it doesn't matter what his mother thinks, it isn't for her!

lindy 01-24-2011 02:02 PM

Not crappy at all! I'm sure your grandson will love it. Sorry his mom hurt your feelings.

JenBlossom 01-24-2011 02:03 PM

Definitely not crappy to use a panel! Kids love their characters in big sizes. I've made my son 3 quilts and he has a bunch of blankets. His absolute favorite out of all of them is a big panel with a dinosaur scene, he loves to spread it out and look at the big picture. I think you are definitely right that he will love the character, and the map on the back is a great idea too, kids love world maps :)

sand344 01-24-2011 02:04 PM

Oh my, she probably didn't think before she spoke. I have two grandaughters and I have made panel quilts for both. I think they are perfectly fine. :lol: :-P :thumbup:

montanajan 01-24-2011 02:05 PM

Sounds like a very nice quilt. Though I'd never say it, I'd be tempted to tell her it IS a real quilt & someone else would appreciate it, thank you very much!! Maybe she is just stressed right now. The world on the back is a thoughtful gesture as a Daddy reminder.
Give it to him anyway & don't apologize for anything - it is supposed to be the love that matters, not the pattern, panel, how many hours it took you to get nice borders.
Sometimes we simply have to 'bite our tongue' & smile - be a better person than she was in this situation.

dutchie 01-24-2011 02:05 PM

The mother obviously has no clue what is involved in making a quilt, any quilt and has displayed a nasty lack of manners to boot. Ignore her and concentrate on the joy the quilt qill bring your grandson.

Quilt police are just a waste of oxygen!

Sue

P.S. Be sure to cross her off of your list of people who deserve a handmade-from-the-heart quilt.

ladyinpurple135 01-24-2011 02:06 PM

Cheerio -

I am so sorry that you got this kind of response - and what exactly is a "real" quilt? All quilts are real. Using a panel is a great idea for a child - he can enjoy it, love it, carry it around and have a great time with it. I am sure it will be well loved - and make sure that you get a picture of him with his Tomater quilt ('Mater is one of my most favorite characters in this movie = he is a hoot!!). I hope that you can ignore what I personally consider a very unrespectful and downright stupid remark - no offense to Mom here. Hope you will put a picture of the quilt on the board.

Best to you,
Sandy in Mooresville, NC

Up North 01-24-2011 02:06 PM

I wouldn't be bothered by her feelings! It is her son you are making it for too bad if she doesn't appreciate your time! I bet he will love it! And anyway what is it she thinks is a REAL quilt? that is a real quilt in my book!

Tropical 01-24-2011 02:07 PM

Not at all! I would use panels if I could find any I like. I don't ever shop online and it is hard to find them in the stores. You put a lot of thought and hard work into that quilt and you would be in the right to tell her so. You might feel better if you let her know in a nonconfrontational manner that she hurt your feelings . Does she quilt? If not she may not realize the work that goes into making one.