Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Matters of Opinion

Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.

I'm sure he will love it - it doesn't matter what his mother thinks, it isn't for her!

Blog Entries
    Not crappy at all! I'm sure your grandson will love it. Sorry his mom hurt your feelings.

Definitely not crappy to use a panel! Kids love their characters in big sizes. I've made my son 3 quilts and he has a bunch of blankets. His absolute favorite out of all of them is a big panel with a dinosaur scene, he loves to spread it out and look at the big picture. I think you are definitely right that he will love the character, and the map on the back is a great idea too, kids love world maps :)

Oh my, she probably didn't think before she spoke. I have two grandaughters and I have made panel quilts for both. I think they are perfectly fine. :lol: :-P :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a very nice quilt. Though I'd never say it, I'd be tempted to tell her it IS a real quilt & someone else would appreciate it, thank you very much!! Maybe she is just stressed right now. The world on the back is a thoughtful gesture as a Daddy reminder.
    Give it to him anyway & don't apologize for anything - it is supposed to be the love that matters, not the pattern, panel, how many hours it took you to get nice borders.
    Sometimes we simply have to 'bite our tongue' & smile - be a better person than she was in this situation.

The mother obviously has no clue what is involved in making a quilt, any quilt and has displayed a nasty lack of manners to boot. Ignore her and concentrate on the joy the quilt qill bring your grandson.

Quilt police are just a waste of oxygen!

Sue

P.S. Be sure to cross her off of your list of people who deserve a handmade-from-the-heart quilt.

Cheerio -

I am so sorry that you got this kind of response - and what exactly is a "real" quilt? All quilts are real. Using a panel is a great idea for a child - he can enjoy it, love it, carry it around and have a great time with it. I am sure it will be well loved - and make sure that you get a picture of him with his Tomater quilt ('Mater is one of my most favorite characters in this movie = he is a hoot!!). I hope that you can ignore what I personally consider a very unrespectful and downright stupid remark - no offense to Mom here. Hope you will put a picture of the quilt on the board.

Best to you,
    Sandy in Mooresville, NC

I wouldn't be bothered by her feelings! It is her son you are making it for too bad if she doesn't appreciate your time! I bet he will love it! And anyway what is it she thinks is a REAL quilt? that is a real quilt in my book!

Blog Entries
    Not at all! I would use panels if I could find any I like. I don't ever shop online and it is hard to find them in the stores. You put a lot of thought and hard work into that quilt and you would be in the right to tell her so. You might feel better if you let her know in a nonconfrontational manner that she hurt your feelings . Does she quilt? If not she may not realize the work that goes into making one.

Sounds like she might be PMS-ing. He will love it and thats all that matters.

Blog Entries
    All that really matters is the big smile on your DGS's face when he sees his 'Mator quilt...
    Forgive her blunder, and focus on his grin and on the next quilt for him, as he will probably wear this one out taking it with him everywhere :wink: :D:D:D

Forgive and forget. He's the one that matters and he'll know the love that's gone into his quilt.

He will love his quilt from Gramma...trust me. I made a quilt for my grandson's b-day with a large panel in the center. Panel or not, they are all real quilts. He'll love it! Sorry she said that, I've had things like that said to me. Some people don't undrstand.

Does MoM sew? I can't imagine a panel not being considered a real quilt...there is so much more that goes into it..

I'm sure he'll love it. I think panels are great for kids because they have their favorite characters on them.

Oh I'm sorry :( I know that had to hurt - but.. I know kids are funny about their characters. I think you did the best using a panel! I tried to applique Barney years ago and the color was all wrong plus it didn't look exactly like Barney. I love your idea of putting the world on the back. He will love it and that is ALL that matters!

big hugs and you will know you did the right thing when he see's his quilt for the first time :)

Quote Originally Posted by cherrio
    I am almost done with a new quilt for my grandson. It is a panel of "Tomater" from the movie "CARS" with quilt blocks and borders with a panel of the world on the back with quilt blocks too. His mother asked me on the ph yesterday why I didn't make him a "real" quilt? I was taken back a bit but didn't say so. I worked harder keeping the panel from getting wonky than I did on his other "real" quilts! Kinda hoping he likes it just cause his tomater is on it. do any of you feel it is crappy to use a panel? I used the world on the back so when he is older, or now, he can look at the map and know his dad Army-deployed, is There.

and what a great idea putting the globe on the back, I have maps of all kinds on my walls..love 'em and I am sure he will too!!
    David

np3
    Blog Entries
    She must not sew. Using a panel is so much harder that any other method. I can never get them straight!!!! He will love it and it is a "Real" quilt!

I make a lot of quilts with panels because of the panel. Kids love the disney characters and I cannot imagine having to make him freehand. It will be a perfect quilt and remember the little one will not care how it was made just that you made it!

ditto!

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    I make a lot of quilts with panels because of the panel. Kids love the disney characters and I cannot imagine having to make him freehand. It will be a perfect quilt and remember the little one will not care how it was made just that you made it!

When all done you and grandson sit and watch the movie together wrapped in quilt and make wonderful memories Together talk about where dad is on back of quilt.. Maybe A big maybe mom is just stressed by being on her own right now.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I agree with the poster who said Mom probably didn't think before she spoke. I find people who don't sew do this frequently! I think the panel is just fine and your Grandson will adore it.

cjr
    Concentrate on grandson's feelings not his mothers. Be sure to sernd boys father a picture of his son and new quilt

Blog Entries
    I'm sure that the mom didn't think when she spoke. Panels are so tough to work with, and they certainly ARE quilts. It's the same love that went into them as with something pieced in hundreds of pieces. All that matters is the LOVE that's in it.

And besides, children are so particular with their "babies" Trust me. I have a 2 year old, and I've learned so much about the "cesses" (princesses) that sometimes a panel is the ONLY way to go!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast