Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM

For a baby shower gift my mom gave my son 3 pannel quilts (done by a neighbor of hers). Still loves them now at age 5 yrs. Slightly different but same color families. my SIL crocheted him a blanket and so did I but the ones my mom gave are his fav. Decided to try my hand at quilting just so that we can exchange Baby blankets for new blanket. He still searches them out and\or askes for them.

I was also greatful that I had 3 alike. I was able to leave one at home, one at daycare and have one ready when the others where in wash.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:37 AM

Maybe she did speak without thinking, but I would find out first what she meant. And like other poster, the quilt is not for her. And your grandson will love it, anything grandma makes kids adore because its especially for them.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM

My MIL is legally blind and has been ever since I've know her (40yrs.) anyway she made my two sons quilts when they were very little and at the time star wars just came on the scene. She took star wars sheets and made both of them quilts, now let me tell you, seams did not match up, seams were crooked, fabric bunched, you get the picture, but its what my boys wanted and she did her best. To this day my boys still have those blankets and will never get rid of them, they are now 33 and 36 years old.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:49 AM

My DIL has her own ideas and whenever I talk about making a quilt for my grandson, she takes over the design. She has never even let him use the first quilt I made for him, it was a wall hanging for years until he out grew it. I appreciate that she didn't want it to get ruined, but that was not the point of making it. I will never forget years ago I had made a very simple and easy to make quilt for a nephew that was just born. When he was 5 he said to me one day "PLWEEZE....MAKE ME A NEW BLUE BLANKET! His mother had hidden it from me because it was in tatters. I had never felt so flattered in my entire life. And of course I immediately made him a new one.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:50 AM

I have made three with this panel and all three kids LOVED it! Mom's don't always know how the kids will react.... ask her if she knows the difference from this quilt compared to a real quilt.The backing sounds perfect... Your a wonderful grandma to make this for your grandson.... :D
Old 01-25-2011, 08:08 AM
pal

IMHO your DIL didn't mean to be rude - she just doesn't understand the world of quilts. Haven't we all said and done things that, after thinking about them afterward, just didn't come out right? I've had to make many apologies, both to
MIL and DIL because things didn't come out the way I meant them. She's got a lot on her plate and probably could use an extra hug, especially from you.

I always look for panels first, they are so much fun to embellish!
Old 01-25-2011, 09:16 AM

It is ovious your DIL knows nothing about quilting. I am sure your GS will love it just because YOU made it for HIM.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Made a Lion King panel quilt and 2 pillows for my grandaughter several years ago. Shr took her lion king everywhere and she is now 16. Those pillows are still on her bed and so is the lion king much to her moms chagrin. You made the quilt, and it is a quilt, for him nobody else. Congrats.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM

THE MOTHER'S OPINION IS VERY IMPORTANT. She is the one who will decide if the quilt is on the bed or in the cupboard, saved or given to Goodwill. Maybe all she needs is a little education as to how hard panel quilts are to make and how much love was stitched into that quilt. I'm sorry she didn't understand, but maybe you're lucky you know how she felt so you can correct the problem. I hope your GS doesn't hear snide remarks about the quilt every day or two.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 AM

It is NOT crappy!
I made some nice quilts for my grands BUT I tied them. I am not going to spend a year hand quilting a quilt for a child who is supposed to drag the quilt out to the front room to watch cartoons.
My first quilt for my grandson was a pp train quilt tied. His mother my DIL put the quilt in the closet! I told her I didn't expect their quilts to be tucked away for safe keeping. I wanted those quilts to be used and loved.
Your quilt is from you, his Grandmother. He will love it because it is from you and having his favorate character will be very special to him.
Our kids just don't think before they speak or do sometimes. Give him the quilt with your love and he will love it.

Rhonda