Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM

I have used panels for making my grandkids quilts and I think there is a lot of work in them. I bet his mom didn't know the work you put in it.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:17 AM

Lets all think before we blurt out something hurtful. Mom may be feeling a bit left out, or left behind, stress, whatever you want to call it. If she is expecting soon, hubby will be leaving her behind with TWO children to care for an everybody is paying more attention to the kids, etc. How about some special attention for her. She might like to have some adult conversation just for her once in a while. She perhaps is envious that she doesn't have a "hobby" (they cost $$ and time). Everybody was not brought up with an appreciation for things like sewing, reading, or much of anything that requires personal involvement. Watching TV doesn't require much of anything but electricity and a cable hook-up for the TV set.
I know people who don't see any good in anything that requires effort. They aren't very happy. I do not look forward to talking to them. I also try not to bore them to death with my quilting, embroidery, gardening, or anything else I love to do.
So give MOM a break. We are more mature and know that this too will pass.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:32 AM

Quilt shops are selling panels and there are several books available to help people make the most of them. What's the real difference between fussy cutting and a panel? None, except someone else did the fussy cutting and with less waste of time and fabric with the panel.

I love panels and have recently made two full sized quilts using Loralei panels. They are as cute as they can be.

froggyintexas
Old 01-25-2011, 11:14 AM

You should have said it is a real quilt. she should be ashamed.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:59 PM

I made my greatgrandson a quilt using all vehicles for Cars and on back I had a strip down middle with his name and then square blocks of bicycles,airplanes,tractors and heavy equipment I didn't get to see him open the package till weeks later when I took his grandmother and him out to eat and some remark was made and I told him I was the one who made that quilt for him. You should have seen him look at me with great big eyes and said "You did" He was so happy and so was I that he loved it. Don't let it bother you you can tell if he loved it and who cares about the other.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:01 PM

I made my greatgrandson a quilt using all vehicles for Cars and on back I had a strip down middle with his name and then square blocks of bicycles,airplanes,tractors and heavy equipment I didn't get to see him open the package till weeks later when I took his grandmother and him out to eat and some remark was made and I told him I was the one who made that quilt for him. You should have seen him look at me with great big eyes and said "You did" He was so happy and so was I that he loved it. Don't let it bother you you can tell if he loved it and who cares about the other.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM
rb.

IMO, you want to give what the recipient would enjoy, not the mother. Mother should know that.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 PM

I've only read the first page of this thread, so sorry if someone already has said this.
A quilt made for a loved one is filled with LOVE, whether it's a panel quilt or has a million pieces in it! When I make quilts for my grandkids (on #9 out of 14) I spend time thinking of them, their talents, and I pray for them. So that is what quilts are made of..all of them...love. Don't let anyone talk down about them, whether PMSing or not. Just say "This IS a real quilt filled with all my love and prayers for my grandson!!"
Old 01-25-2011, 03:37 PM

panels are hard to work with ! so often they are so wonky!! Im sure it is fine and he will be tickled.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:38 PM

I love using panels. Since they are small, I always add more pieced blocks around the panel with borders, etc.