Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matters of Opinion >

Matters of Opinion

Matters of Opinion

Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM

I've used plenty of panels and I hope you will continue using them too. Sometimes we just have to forget comments like that and move on. By the way, I really liked your idea of using the world as backing. That's a super way for him to keep track of his Daddy.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:45 AM

I have used panels. I made a Dora the Explorer quilt for my granddaughter with a panel and she loved it. I have also used panels for quilts for kids. The kids love them.

I am sure that your grandson will love his quilt.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 AM

I use panels for 4 of my grandchildren's quilts and they could have cared less.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:07 AM

When you give it to your grandson, bring up the subject, tell her she mentioned it not being a real quilt and ask what she conciders a real quilt. -- It seems all of us that have responded feel that she sees a 'real' quilt as one that was a pieced pattern. This is your opportunity to give her a lesson on quilting and maybe even get her involved in a project of her own. Have a small photo collection to show her of examples of different types of quilts, such as functual, art, baby, ect. -- You could even make a kit to get her started, maybe even a panel. When she is finished or even half finished, I don't think she would refer to it as anything other than a 'real' quilt. I am sure she has forgotten the comment by now and no harm was meant. Assure her that there are more quilts projects in the future.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:10 AM

Daughter in laws can be very hurtful. Take with a grain of salt. It's not worth getting upset over. They never seem to think before they say things.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Funny, that's been my experience with mothers in law. :)

Originally Posted by Heartwarming quilts
Daughter in laws can be very hurtful. Take with a grain of salt. It's not worth getting upset over. They never seem to think before they say things.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Mattee

LOL!!! so true...we see everything from out prospective...very hard to do otherwise...really have to work at it...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:16 AM

I, too made my dgs a "Cars" quilt using a Mater & Lightning panel. My grndsn loves it! And believe me, it is a real quilt! Just explain to dil that the panel made is special for him. I'm sure your grndsn will love his "Cars" quilt too! Patty
Old 01-25-2011, 07:17 AM

several years ago my DM was making a crazy quilt for each of the grandchildren. My SIL told her if she was making one for her girls she better make one for all of them (one was from a previous marriage), or not give any at all. This from a person who only brought her kids around at Christmas for gifts each year and at no other time. She drove right past the house all the time to go to her parents. DM made one, it was different from the others, I liked it so did the recipient.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 AM

DITTO!!!
Originally Posted by Mattee