Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Men who quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/men-who-quilt-t96331.html)

sewdarnbusy 02-04-2011 09:44 AM

Men have a lot of stereo type images to overcome in order to cross over traditional boundaries. A lot of men are closet quilters. LOL

judykay 02-04-2011 10:11 AM

Oakie quilter what pattern did you use to teach your 9 yr old grandson to quilt, mine wants to learn but his attention span is not very long.

Thanks for any input you can help me with.
Judy

jean knapp 02-04-2011 10:25 AM

Ricky Timms country singer quilts

redkimba 02-04-2011 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by sewdarnbusy
Men have a lot of stereo type images to overcome in order to cross over traditional boundaries. A lot of men are closet quilters. LOL

no kidding - the friend who quilts also does some of the best knitting that I've ever seen. I was describing his knitting to someone & the first question out of her mouth was about his sexual orientation. (I almost pushed her down in the mud over that one...)

KLO 02-04-2011 10:53 AM

I saw the Last Supper quilt at a quilt show in NC a few years ago and it is stunning, unbelievable, awesome, and any other words like that you can think of!!! The maker, a man, was there with his wife so we got to talk to him a bit. He had previously made a quilt with this method from a photo of he and his wife together. Locally we have a dentist who makes absolutely beautiful and precise quilts that have won prizes wherever he enters them. He does all of this while working and raising a family. Even teaches classes now and then. So, can men quilt and still be "men"? You betcha and they do wonderful work. PS: Rosey Grier was a defensive tackle with the NY Giants and then played with the LA Rams as one of the "fearsome foursome". Did you know he also did a lot of needlepoint? I sure as heck would not be caught making fun of him for doing that!

Jbarrow 02-04-2011 11:21 AM

There are many men into quilting....John Flynn deisgns, quilts and even invented his own quilting frame for regular sewing machines...There are many other men that quilt also...There was a ex-football player that needlepoints...Rosey ??? Greer...Now if that isn't a man, I don't know who is...so tell him to go for it...

desertrose 02-04-2011 11:33 AM

I hope the men who on the QB come forward and invite your DH to give it a try...Who knows he may actually love it like we do...

lbc 02-04-2011 12:05 PM

My brother retired a couple of years ago and after watching his wife and I quilt, he got interested. His first project was a bargello and he did a wonderful job. He has probably made 15 quilts so far. He likes the more complicated patterns. The husband of one of the ladies who does my long arm quilting also quilts. He helps her with the long arm in addition to piecing his own quilts. He owns a construction company and says it is just like building only he does it with cloth. Soooo, tell your husband to go for it and then show us the results.

AnitaSt 02-04-2011 12:22 PM

I have a quilt studio design book that has great room makeovers. One was for a husband and wife who both quilt. They had been sharing a room then bought a house that had an extra double-car garage for some reason. They turned it into a his and hers quilt studio.

Carol J. 02-04-2011 01:18 PM

I have seen magnificent quilts designed and made by men. They have an eye for detail and have done marvelous work. There was a time when only men sewed, the women spun and wove the yarn and cloth and the men made the clothing, by hand, of course. A man invented the sewing machine, remember?
At Paducah I have seen intricate designs made by men, go for it and urge him to use his manly skills to make quilts.
Fabric and sewing machines don't have a women's only sign on them. I had a neighbor who sewed all his wife's clothes, made drapes and sewed his own shirts.

Carol J.