Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Messed up on cutting my borders...need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/messed-up-cutting-my-borders-need-help-t277894.html)

osewme 04-19-2016 04:43 PM

Messed up on cutting my borders...need help

I had border/binding fabric & backing fabric. I cut my borders out of my backing fabric by mistake & now I don't have enough backing fabric. Would it look weird to piece about 4 of those 6 1/2" border pieces & maybe put them down the center of the back? I was cutting my 7th & final piece when I realized what I had done. I don't have enough border/binding fabric to use for the backing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know right now this feels like a disaster to me but am hoping to make a design opportunity out of it before its all over with.

PaperPrincess 04-19-2016 04:46 PM

I think it would look great! Many people piece backing, often using leftover blocks from the front.

GramE 04-19-2016 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 7527961)
I had border/binding fabric & backing fabric. I cut my borders out of my backing fabric by mistake & now I don't have enough backing fabric. Would it look weird to piece about 4 of those 6 1/2" border pieces & maybe put them down the center of the back? I was cutting my 7th & final piece when I realized what I had done. I don't have enough border/binding fabric to use for the backing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know right now this feels like a disaster to me but am hoping to make a design opportunity out of it before its all over with.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548232[/ATTACH]
Here is the back of one of my quilts. The piece I had was too small. So I cut it in fourths and inserted these two stripes
& the four square.

quiltingcandy 04-19-2016 05:11 PM

I have pieced a lot of backs - one specific was a MLB quilt for my daughter - I wanted to use the SD Padres fabric for the back but it was about 8 inches shy of being wide enough, so instead of going back and getting more fabric I used the fabric that was used on the front for the border and binding - it looked like planned racing stripes. (Not to mention it used up some of the leftover fabric instead of going into the scrap bin.)

nativetexan 04-19-2016 06:27 PM

Oh no, lots of quilters dress up the backs. go for it!!

tesspug 04-19-2016 10:16 PM

When I make a pieced back,(and I almost always do because I like them) I offset the extra pieces so they don't go exactly in the middle. That way I don't have to bother making sure they are perfectly straight when I sandwich the quilt.

DOTTYMO 04-20-2016 12:38 AM

Ive seen many pieced backs. Some come out as modern designs with off set piecing.

kathy 04-20-2016 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug (Post 7528100)
When I make a pieced back,(and I almost always do because I like them) I offset the extra pieces so they don't go exactly in the middle. That way I don't have to bother making sure they are perfectly straight when I sandwich the quilt.

me too, and if you don't tell it was a mistake, it wasn't. your secret is safe with us as always!

ManiacQuilter2 04-20-2016 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 7527964)
I think it would look great! Many people piece backing, often using leftover blocks from the front.

I agree. I use left over blocks on my backing very often.

osewme 04-20-2016 07:53 AM

I've seen a lot of pieced backs with different fabrics but this one will have the same fabric as the back...only pieced in strips. Will it still look o.k. even though the fabric will all be the same on the back or should I break it up a bit with some left over pieces from the top? I wish I had a quilting program so I could see it before I try sewing it.