Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Messed up on cutting my borders...need help >

Messed up on cutting my borders...need help

Messed up on cutting my borders...need help

Old 04-19-2016, 04:43 PM

Default Messed up on cutting my borders...need help

I had border/binding fabric & backing fabric. I cut my borders out of my backing fabric by mistake & now I don't have enough backing fabric. Would it look weird to piece about 4 of those 6 1/2" border pieces & maybe put them down the center of the back? I was cutting my 7th & final piece when I realized what I had done. I don't have enough border/binding fabric to use for the backing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know right now this feels like a disaster to me but am hoping to make a design opportunity out of it before its all over with.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

I think it would look great! Many people piece backing, often using leftover blocks from the front.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by osewme View Post
I had border/binding fabric & backing fabric. I cut my borders out of my backing fabric by mistake & now I don't have enough backing fabric. Would it look weird to piece about 4 of those 6 1/2" border pieces & maybe put them down the center of the back? I was cutting my 7th & final piece when I realized what I had done. I don't have enough border/binding fabric to use for the backing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know right now this feels like a disaster to me but am hoping to make a design opportunity out of it before its all over with.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548232[/ATTACH]
Here is the back of one of my quilts. The piece I had was too small. So I cut it in fourths and inserted these two stripes
& the four square.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 PM

I have pieced a lot of backs - one specific was a MLB quilt for my daughter - I wanted to use the SD Padres fabric for the back but it was about 8 inches shy of being wide enough, so instead of going back and getting more fabric I used the fabric that was used on the front for the border and binding - it looked like planned racing stripes. (Not to mention it used up some of the leftover fabric instead of going into the scrap bin.)
Old 04-19-2016, 06:27 PM
Power Poster

Oh no, lots of quilters dress up the backs. go for it!!
Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM

When I make a pieced back,(and I almost always do because I like them) I offset the extra pieces so they don't go exactly in the middle. That way I don't have to bother making sure they are perfectly straight when I sandwich the quilt.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:38 AM

Ive seen many pieced backs. Some come out as modern designs with off set piecing.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
When I make a pieced back,(and I almost always do because I like them) I offset the extra pieces so they don't go exactly in the middle. That way I don't have to bother making sure they are perfectly straight when I sandwich the quilt.
me too, and if you don't tell it was a mistake, it wasn't. your secret is safe with us as always!
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I think it would look great! Many people piece backing, often using leftover blocks from the front.
I agree. I use left over blocks on my backing very often.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:53 AM

I've seen a lot of pieced backs with different fabrics but this one will have the same fabric as the back...only pieced in strips. Will it still look o.k. even though the fabric will all be the same on the back or should I break it up a bit with some left over pieces from the top? I wish I had a quilting program so I could see it before I try sewing it.