Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metallic thread nightmare!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-thread-nightmare-t202046.html)

lclang 10-03-2012 05:27 AM

Use a metallic needle and put several lines of Sewer's Aid lenghwise on the spool from top to bottom. It is a slick substance that helps the thread slide through the needle better.

Steady Stiching 10-03-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by darleneerickson (Post 5558903)
Have you ttried Sewer's Aid" - I get it at Joann's and put it on the thread when I am having trouble with a certain thread - usually helps a lot.

Absolutly try the Sewer's Aid from Joanns....its in a small bottle and rather inexpensive, run a thin line of the liquid across your spool. I had problems just exactly like you are stating and the sewers aid solved them. And of course you need a metallic needle.

knitsew 10-03-2012 06:12 AM

I have been told by my repair person to NEVER put something on the thread and then run it thru a machine. Very hard on machines. Go to a sewing machine store for needles of all kinds. There are so many out there now.

grann of 6 10-03-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by knitsew (Post 5559098)
I have been told by my repair person to NEVER put something on the thread and then run it thru a machine. Very hard on machines. Go to a sewing machine store for needles of all kinds. There are so many out there now.

Obviously no one read my previous post. knitsew, you are right. Sewers Aid is a silicone lubricant. It will infiltrate down into the bobbin system of your machine. All of the newer machines are self-lubricating. If you have an electronic machine (computerized) the sewers aid will interfere with the various sensors in the machine. It can eventually migrate onto the boards of the machine and RUIN it.

QandE2010 10-03-2012 08:31 AM

I am making a Christmas tree skirt out of polyester satin and I wanted to put embroidery designs all around in gold & silver metallic. I put a new metlallic needle in my machine (Bernina series 8 - 830) threaded it with new superior metallic thread & (drum roll please). No matter what speed, which way the thread came off the spool, the location of the needle (moved it to right & left), or the tension settings, I kept having breakage. Same results with Sulky & Guttermann metallic thread. So after messing with this for the better part of 3 days, I gave up and am using silver & gold rayon sulky thread. So far, no breakage and I am on 6 out of 12.
So no metallic on this 60" round Christmas skirt. I may purchase some of the yenmet thread on my next project. I'll let you know what happens. Oh, the skirt is going to be beautiful & it doesn't miss the metallic thread.

maryb44662 10-03-2012 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 (Post 5554950)
I have just finished a very simple table runner for my DIL for Christmas. The fabric has gold thru out so I figured oh I would use gold thread. I am using a decorative stitch that kinda looks like a snowflake, and I am about ready to jump off a bridge. About every 3rd snowflake the thread breaks. Just the gold thread. I have rethreaded til I am blue in the face. Is there a trick to using this, I am sure I have used it before, but never experienced a problem like this. Its almost as if its shredding. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!!

I try to stay away from metallic threads, however, when I do use them I set the machine to a very slow pace and it doesn't seem to break the thread as bad. On my embroidery machine I have different speed settings and on my sewing machine I have 1/2 speed. Hope this suggestion helps and good luck.

judykay 10-03-2012 08:44 AM

I bought a new machine a few years ago and the sales lady told me not to use the sewers aid as they don't know what it will do to the inside of the machine.

patski 10-03-2012 08:49 AM

metallic needle and put your thread about 3 feet away on a spindle it loosens and then sews better, How did I learn? I had the same nightmare!!

carol45 10-03-2012 09:48 AM

A topstitch needle is the same as a metallic needle. Ask Joann's if they have that.
The idea is that the thread should be as relaxed as possible. First, I tell the thread to relax :-), then I try to relax myself. You need as little friction as possible--I don't have the thread run through the guides that are just above the needle--just let it come straight down to the needle--this reduces the friction some, as does the larger eye needle.

sharin'Sharon 10-03-2012 02:57 PM

When I use metallic thread, I don't 'thread' that hook above the needle and found that to be my solution. Good luck.