Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Metallic thread nightmare!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/metallic-thread-nightmare-t202046.html)

margecam52 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

Call Joann's back and ask if they have a topstitch needle for your machine. A topstitch needle is about the same as a metallic needle.

What machine are you using? On my Brother and Futura machines...I set the metallic cone in a cup behind the machine...and run the thread straight up to the thread guide. If your machine has a spiral guide anywhere...just go straight through, don't spiral. If you are using a spool...the thread needs to feed straight off the side of the spool, not over the top.

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 (Post 5558591)
So taking your advice about the needle, I checked and of course I do not have one. So rather than jumping in my car and rushing to JoAnn's which is a good drive away, I called. And they don't have them!!!! Glad I did not just hop right over there. Going to check the LQS this morning, other wise I am going to have to order it online. I am amazed JoAnn's does not have them. I will order some sew slick too, since I am probaby going to have to order online,

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and help!!

GrannieAnnie 10-03-2012 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Amythyst02 (Post 5554950)
I have just finished a very simple table runner for my DIL for Christmas. The fabric has gold thru out so I figured oh I would use gold thread. I am using a decorative stitch that kinda looks like a snowflake, and I am about ready to jump off a bridge. About every 3rd snowflake the thread breaks. Just the gold thread. I have rethreaded til I am blue in the face. Is there a trick to using this, I am sure I have used it before, but never experienced a problem like this. Its almost as if its shredding. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!!

Are you using a metallic needle? Maybe you need to just stop and let the needle cool after 2 snowflakes.

cabbagepatchkid 10-03-2012 05:02 PM

I've never used metallic thread in my quilts but after using them while doing counted cross stitch whenever I hear the word "metallic thread" I run screaming for the hills ;)

rebeljane 10-03-2012 05:26 PM

It is probably the needle you are using. The ones for metallic thread have rounded edges in the eye so it doesn't shred the thread

Donna in Mo 10-03-2012 07:26 PM

We are told that when doing machine embroidery with metallic thread, to have the thread on a thread stand behind the machine. That way it has time to relax a little before it gets to the machine. You might try that and hopefully it will help. Also use a metallic needle or one with a large eye.

pjamerican 10-04-2012 08:45 AM

I watched a video that showed how to use the metillic threads. Use a top stitch needle with tension turned to 0 -1. I have use this method without any shredding of thread. Works like a charm. I think the video was at Superior Threads.