Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Minature pressing irons (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/minature-pressing-irons-t148322.html)

Joyce R 08-27-2011 01:19 PM

I was thinking about buying one of those little pressing irons that would help me pressing those 1/4" seams. I have seen them at Joannes for about $30.00. Does anyone use it?

Holice 08-27-2011 01:22 PM

which one did you see?

hobbykat1955 08-27-2011 01:23 PM

I have the long stem handle type by clover...use it only for small applique pieces...not seams...

The small iron that looks like an iron wasted my money on doesn't get hot enough...for anything...

JanTx 08-27-2011 01:46 PM

I have the clover and use it for pressing the intersection of seams on my Farmer's Wife blocks. When a bunch of seams come together my big iron just makes a mess. I spray a dab of water on the intersection, put the clover on it, do that with all the intersections on that bit of the block then finish with my regular iron.

I got it at my local quilt shop when they were having 25% off of notions.

NanaCsews2 08-27-2011 01:49 PM

I have the petite press and a clover. I do use them, but what I found better for me was a small Black and Decker iron from Walmart that I do not add water to. I keep it to the right of my sewing table on an old nightstand that I have a small ironing board (made from a very small bulletin board, batting, and teflon iron quick) and a rotating cutting board sitting on the stand. The iron is small enough to sit on the board and right at hand when I need it. Cost 15.00. Perfect for pressing seams.

QuiltnLady1 08-27-2011 01:54 PM

I have the travel Rowenta and I love it. The handle collapses, it can be steam or dry and it is small enough to use in a small area. (Got it at Joann's at 50% off) I have the Clover and one of those little ones and don't use them.

scowlkat 08-27-2011 01:56 PM

I love my clover with the different attachments. It is great for pressing 1/4 inch seams, paper piecing, etc. I also have a small iron I keep in my sewing trolley for larger pressing needs.

Glassquilt 08-27-2011 02:07 PM

I like the clover - doesn't throw too much heat for my fingers when doing seams.

greenini 08-27-2011 02:14 PM

I have the older clover and i'm not too fond of it. first of all I had to trek out to joann's a good 45 mi to exchange the first one because it "didn't work" only to find out here, of course, that you need to heat it up several times to get it hot the first time.

there is a real danger of burning your fingers if you grab the stem instead of the handle and the rest that comes with it is pretty shoddy.

even so if i was doing a lot of fiddly bits it still might be worth it, but one of the others may do better and i can't speak to the clovers with different heads.

chairjogger 08-27-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
I have the long stem handle type by clover...use it only for small applique pieces...not seams...

The small iron that looks like an iron wasted my money on doesn't get hot enough...for anything...

agree I waisted my money.. have it.. did not get too much satisfaction.. waisted my money with sounds like same brand.