Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Mitering corners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/mitering-corners-t267356.html)

Texas_Sue 07-08-2015 04:40 AM

Mitering corners

Help, please. I've mitered 3 of my corners of my quilt. Suddenly I can't get the last one done. I let it sit about a week and when I went back to it, I couldn't remember what I did to do it right. I ended up cutting the angle at the corner in the wrong direction so I had to make a new border. Now I'm paralyzed because I don't have anymore fabric. Can someone give me a little direction so I can finish this up? Thanks for any suggestions.

Susan

imsewnso 07-08-2015 05:22 AM

When I am having troubles like this I always go to my utube videos. Will probably not help you now, but perhaps in future.

Tartan 07-08-2015 05:31 AM

If I don't have enough fabric to miter the corners I do cornerstones instead. If you are set with wanting mitered corners but no longer have enough fabric, put a block in the center of all 4 borders.

nabobw 07-08-2015 05:54 AM

When I miter corners I do not cut until I sew it together. I first take one side and lay it flat and stretched out past the top border. I the take the border on the top and fold it on a angle over the side border. The angle is the miter. I make sure the sides all match beyond the angle, iron the angle pin it then sew it.

Onebyone 07-08-2015 06:35 AM

I glue baste mine to be exactly what I want and then sew. A judge at Paduach quilt show showed me how to check how miters will be judged, use a ruler to see if the miter of the border is exactly in line with the miter of the binding, if you are making a show quilt.

donnajean 07-08-2015 06:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by nabobw (Post 7251041)
When I miter corners I do not cut until I sew it together. I first take one side and lay it flat and stretched out past the top border. I the take the border on the top and fold it on a angle over the side border. The angle is the miter. I make sure the sides all match beyond the angle, iron the angle pin it then sew it.

I had not mitered in a while, but this is exactly what I did the other day for this quilt.

ManiacQuilter2 07-08-2015 06:59 AM

This happened to me ALL THE TIME. So I started basting them first. Make sure your line drawn is accurate. You might go watch a few u-tube videos to see how others do their miter corners. Good Luck.

Texas_Sue 07-08-2015 08:42 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm going to Youtube right now. I am so frustrated right now!!! I'm going to figure it out even if I gave to go buy more material and start over.

Susan

Pollytink 07-08-2015 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean (Post 7251088)
I had not mitered in a while, but this is exactly what I did the other day for this quilt.

Love your little quilt--fabrics and colors are great together!!

Pollytink 07-08-2015 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean (Post 7251088)

p.s. Does this pattern have a name?