Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Moda Bella cottons vs kona cottons. Which do you prefer? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moda-bella-cottons-vs-kona-cottons-do-you-prefer-t275588.html)

Annie Pearl 02-10-2016 02:39 AM

Moda Bella cottons vs kona cottons. Which do you prefer?

I don't use a lot of solids in my quilts. I needed solid white, red and black. So when I ordered I bought Moda Bella. I was very disappointed, the black and red shed terribly the white not so much. Do Kona cottons shed a lot too? If they don't I think I'll go with Kona cottons next time. Let me know what you use.

kathy 02-10-2016 03:27 AM

my first choice is always Connecting Threads for anything, it's the best price and the quality is great, they just don't have a huge variety, but they do have solids

rryder 02-10-2016 04:59 AM

When you mention shedding are you talking about lint buildup in your machine? Or are you talking about problems with fraying?

I love Kona solids, and have used them a lot. If you're talking about lint build up then I can say that I haven't noticed any more with Kona solid colors than with the better quality printed quilt fabric I've used. I haven't used much red, but have used a lot of the black, various blues, whites and grays.

I have noticed in other lines that different colors of the same line can cause different amounts of lint and I don't know if Kona cotton solids have similar variation.

If you're talking about fraying then I would say that I have noticed less fraying with Kona solids than with other solids, they tend to be a bit heavier weight and more tightly woven than some of the other solids I've purchased over the years. They also tend to be a little heavier weight than some of the good quality print lines as well.

Rob

dakotamaid 02-10-2016 05:01 AM

I took my Bella solids and pre washed in hot water. It seemed to shrink up and tighten the weave.

Skhf 02-10-2016 05:30 AM

I have not tried Bella solids but I love Kona fabrics. Such yummy colors. I have not noticed any fraying beyond normal with them. I inadvertently bought a Joann blend I think in white and it frays terribly. I feel I need to cut an extra few threads over to make a pattern piece. I don't think you can go wrong with Kona

ManiacQuilter2 02-10-2016 06:02 AM

I have always preferred Kona cotton since it is more accessible for me to buy. I have used it since it first came out. I only BUY from LQS to get the best quality. Too bad someone doesn't invent a spray starch that will keep the fabric from unraveling the cut edges.

Sewnoma 02-10-2016 06:04 AM

Whichever one is on sale... LOL

I prefer Kona but I'll use either and have used both in the same quilt many times. Bella feels softer, more drapey, which is actually kind of a pain while quilting. Kona is a bit stiffer, making it easier to piece. Once they're sewn into a quilt, I can't really tell them apart.

I like Connecting Threads solids too - the colors are a touch "muddy" compared to Kona, IMO, but they're still good quality for a good price and if the color works, it works. You can order a charm pack from Connecting Threads to see how their solids look in person - they don't charge extra for cutting the fabrics so it's a pretty good deal. I buy my solid white almost exclusively from CT now - I buy 8 yards at a time and wrap it onto a bolt. It's a little thinner than Kona but thicker than the "bargain" solids at someplace like Joann's.

joe'smom 02-10-2016 06:24 AM

I think the Michael Miller cotton couture solids are far superior to both Kona and Bella. They have a higher thread count and are so silky. I don't know how the price compares.

Weezy Rider 02-10-2016 06:34 AM

I used Kona black for a large project and I have never seen so much lint. The stuff is all over the Juki! I was also using a cotton thread from whoever makes King Tut, and that linted a bit, too. Changed over to a poly which got rid of some of the lint around the feed dogs

I cut quite a few pieces with the Accuquilt Go. When first cut, the edges were clean. Couple of hours later, even just sitting there were short strings on the black.

I had quite a few other Kona solids, and none of the others linted like the black.

I'll keep buying anyway if I need more. I can clean the machine and surrounding area without much fuss.

Actually, I've seen more lint. Lycra. That will cover everything. I made dance and skating clothes for kid. This Kona black wasn't quite THAT bad.

Mariposa 02-10-2016 07:31 AM

I like Kona. I also use CT. :)