Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modern Quilt Guild (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modern-quilt-guild-t71327.html)

AnnaK 10-20-2010 03:09 PM

So at today's meeting of our Quilt Council, I heard for the first time of Modern Quilt Guild. It is a group (growing fast) of quilters who want to quilt but not necessarily make traditional quilts. They don't have a physical place to meet so it's mostly online with a few of them meeting at LQS, coffees shops, etc. It is an interesting concept and I am blown away by the pictures of these meetings. Their quilts are fresh and the quilters are mostly young women. Had any of you heard of this movement and what do you think? I think it's very exciting to be drawing the interest of so many young women and it makes me wonder how this will change quilting in general.

117becca 10-20-2010 03:13 PM

the quilt show i have attended this fall seem to have a lot of more modern quilts - quilt pictures, lots of kaleidoscope quilts..While i can appreciate the art and the eye it takes to do that - I prefer the traditional patchwork....

np3 10-20-2010 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by 117becca
the quilt show i have attended this fall seem to have a lot of more modern quilts - quilt pictures, lots of kaleidoscope quilts..While i can appreciate the art and the eye it takes to do that - I prefer the traditional patchwork....

I agree, I will always love traditional quilts more.

Sadiemae 10-20-2010 03:31 PM

I am joining the group that meets here. It is fun, and I will always do traditional quilts also.

ghostrider 10-20-2010 03:50 PM

I've not heard of them before. Where do I sign up?? :D

never mind...Googled them. :oops: ;)

amma 10-20-2010 06:29 PM

I think that sounds like a lot of fun. I tend to lean more towards the nontraditional too :D:D:D

CarrieAnne 10-20-2010 06:35 PM

I would love to see their work. I am more into the traditional too, but I always love to see what others are doing. Nosey, maybe?

DebraK 10-20-2010 06:41 PM

The times, they are a changing....
not a bad thing. just another thing. cool.

ArtisticDesign 10-20-2010 07:41 PM

I joined our modern quilt guild a few weeks back..It caught my eye while looking up a guild in my area...I don't much care for most traditional quilting..So this was right up my alley...I've not went to a meeting yet..And yes from what I can tell, the last meeting was at someones house... And their message board is not very active (at least here) However,I won't be giving up on them and would love to be a recruiter lol..
When I do go to a meeting or two I'll repost and update

Lisa T 10-20-2010 07:52 PM

I have been aware of them because I have a blog and that is kind of how it all started- with some of the more popular bloggers. I did not expect to be able to join, but have since talked to another blogger who is interested in starting one in my area. (The Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

I don't have the ambition to start a chapter, but I will definitely join of she goes through with it. I think that they provide a doorway for younger people to start making "cool" quilts. My own style leans toward the traditional, but I love to see people stretch their limits and break rules. I know I break a lot of them! LOL!

I am curious to see how that style of quilting will fare at juried shows and such. Some "modern" quilters just make very simple "wonky" log cabin type quilts but use expensive trendy fabric. Which in my book isn't really innovative, but still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.