Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Quilt Guild

Blog Entries
    So at today's meeting of our Quilt Council, I heard for the first time of Modern Quilt Guild. It is a group (growing fast) of quilters who want to quilt but not necessarily make traditional quilts. They don't have a physical place to meet so it's mostly online with a few of them meeting at LQS, coffees shops, etc. It is an interesting concept and I am blown away by the pictures of these meetings. Their quilts are fresh and the quilters are mostly young women. Had any of you heard of this movement and what do you think? I think it's very exciting to be drawing the interest of so many young women and it makes me wonder how this will change quilting in general.

the quilt show i have attended this fall seem to have a lot of more modern quilts - quilt pictures, lots of kaleidoscope quilts..While i can appreciate the art and the eye it takes to do that - I prefer the traditional patchwork....

np3
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 117becca
    the quilt show i have attended this fall seem to have a lot of more modern quilts - quilt pictures, lots of kaleidoscope quilts..While i can appreciate the art and the eye it takes to do that - I prefer the traditional patchwork....
    I agree, I will always love traditional quilts more.

Blog Entries
    I am joining the group that meets here. It is fun, and I will always do traditional quilts also.

I've not heard of them before. Where do I sign up?? :D

never mind...Googled them. :oops: ;)

Blog Entries
    I think that sounds like a lot of fun. I tend to lean more towards the nontraditional too :D:D:D

I would love to see their work. I am more into the traditional too, but I always love to see what others are doing. Nosey, maybe?

The times, they are a changing....
    not a bad thing. just another thing. cool.

I joined our modern quilt guild a few weeks back..It caught my eye while looking up a guild in my area...I don't much care for most traditional quilting..So this was right up my alley...I've not went to a meeting yet..And yes from what I can tell, the last meeting was at someones house... And their message board is not very active (at least here) However,I won't be giving up on them and would love to be a recruiter lol..
    When I do go to a meeting or two I'll repost and update

I have been aware of them because I have a blog and that is kind of how it all started- with some of the more popular bloggers. I did not expect to be able to join, but have since talked to another blogger who is interested in starting one in my area. (The Upper Peninsula of Michigan)

I don't have the ambition to start a chapter, but I will definitely join of she goes through with it. I think that they provide a doorway for younger people to start making "cool" quilts. My own style leans toward the traditional, but I love to see people stretch their limits and break rules. I know I break a lot of them! LOL!

I am curious to see how that style of quilting will fare at juried shows and such. Some "modern" quilters just make very simple "wonky" log cabin type quilts but use expensive trendy fabric. Which in my book isn't really innovative, but still, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I'd like to hear more about the Modern Quilt Guild. It sounds interesting.

any links?

ali

.Myself, when I think of "traditional"..I think of half square triangles etc on up...And although I may use this technique in a wall hanging..It would not be the focal point of the design..More like a bridge to get from point A to point B....
    And although water color quilting is in itself more traditional...I personally classify it as more modern because it's a really sweet bridge to add to more of an artsy type design.Such as Shadowing, painting, Tromp L'oeil etc..
    I guess what I am trying to say is, to me..More modern = mixed media etc....But to someone else..It could mean something entirely different....

( To who asked about an addy to the modern guild...I think there is one in every location..I'm in Indy and many in this thread have mentioned one in their areas (which was news to me lol)..You might type in your city and do a search for modern guild and or plain guild..)

.Myself, when I think of "traditional"..I think of half square triangles etc on up...And although I may use this technique in a wall hanging..It would not be the focal point of the design..More like a bridge to get from point A to point B....
    And although water color quilting is in itself more traditional...I personally classify it as more modern because it's a really sweet bridge to add to more of an artsy type design.Such as Shadowing, painting, Tromp L'oeil etc..
    I guess what I am trying to say is, to me..More modern = mixed media etc....But to someone else..It could mean something entirely different....

( To who asked about an addy to the modern guild...I think there is one in every location..I'm in Indy and many in this thread have mentioned one in there areas (which was news to me lol)..You might type in your city and do a search for modern guild and or plain guild..)

Blog Entries
    So where is a link to one of these modern quilt guilds?
    Can I see some of this work somewhere?

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I meant to include a link, http://www.themodernquiltguild.com

http://themodernquiltguild.com/about-2/

Here is the main blog's "about" page. If you want to look for a branch in your area, look on the right sidebar. Each branch should have it's own page of some kind.

Oops! We were posting at the same time!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the links.
    So can I ask a question? What is different about this type of guild?
    I'm not sure I get it.
    I did enjoy the pictures very much.

As far as I can tell, they are a bit less worried about following "rules". On this board there are no quilt police, which is awesome, but in real life the guilds are likely to have a fair amount.

Also, a lot of the contact is done online, while most quilt guilds have no online presence at all. In my area there a local guild that if quite large (I believe they have hundreds of members) and they don't have any sort of online page at all.

I kind of agree that "modern" quilting is all in the eye of the beholder. I have books with antique or vintage quilts that look really similar to what some people call "modern". I get a little confused when people talk about it, too. It seems to mean something different to each person. Which is fine.

The new quilt guilds seem to attract young women who are mostly drawn to the non-traditional. From what I have seen posted on blogs there are show and tell times where a lot of original work is shown. I can see this "movement" creating individual free thinkers, which is pretty cool, whether or not people are reinventing the wheel. They are still thinking and sewing and quilting. Pretty awesome no matter how you look at it.

[quote=Lisa T]As far as I can tell, they are a bit less worried about following "rules". On this board there are no quilt police, which is awesome, but in real life the guilds are likely to have a fair amount.quote]

Well said Lisa, I had looked into one local quilting group, mostly older ladys that felt strongly about only "handquilting etc..And when I had mentioned quilting on my sewing machine, adding paints etc..I instantly heard the tone of her voice change...

Thanks for the web site. I see there is one in Michigan but too far away for me to check out.

My first meeting with the Modern Quilt Guild is a field trip, albeit a few hr's drive...Shopping, lunch, socializing etc...What a great way to get to know everyone...I'm so cited lol

I started a group like this, we are 4 ladies - not so young though, we make art quilts, and quilts withing 4'or 3' x 4' no large quilts. Lots of embroidery, thread work, most of them have Janome and Vikings, I have a Pfaff. They are very creative.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider
    I've not heard of them before. Where do I sign up?? :D

never mind...Googled them. :oops: ;)
    I googled them too and there is one right by me. I had never heard of them before this. interesting.

They really seem to be stressing the "young" quilter, as if those of us over a certain age are old fogies who are locked in the past. I've never made a classic traditional quilt and never plan to, but I get the feeling that Boomers like me would not be welcome in any of these groups because of our age. Too bad, because my contemporary style is not well thought of in the local un-modern quilt guilds either. :roll:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast