Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modern Quilt Movement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modern-quilt-movement-t145751.html)

Extreme Quilter 08-18-2011 03:44 AM

I love contemporary art quilts and the creativity that goes behind them.

munfordf 08-18-2011 03:49 AM

I like both. Recently, I have started incorporating both into my quilts. It's fun to piece a quilt and then embellish...I make traditional quilts for most of my gifts but when I want to let loose...I play and see what happens...adding a little paint, a little bit of jewelry, a few pieces of yarn....is just plain fun for me. I have a hand piecing project for when I am traveling....I have several traditional quilts on the design wall that are slowly getting finished and I have two art quilts in progress as well. For me it's the best of both worlds.

It'sJustMe 08-18-2011 04:05 AM

Love modern quilt designs and am personally going in that direction. Like the balance between structure and openended-ness.

quiltymom 08-18-2011 04:11 AM

Mixed feelings!

MaryKatherine 08-18-2011 04:15 AM

I'm always disappointed when I go to an advertised Quilt show and find they are all Modern. Not that they aren't pretty, but it just doesn't sit right.
MK

kaykwilts 08-18-2011 04:23 AM

I enjoy looking at "modern" quilts, and respect the artistry, creativity, and work that goes into them. For that reason alone, I maintain my subscription to Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. But for me, I am a traditionalist at heart, and all the quilts I make are from traditional patterns.

So I guess I sit on the fence and admire and enjoy the grass on both sides.....

gollytwo 08-18-2011 04:24 AM

I don't make them but often am WOWed by the ones I see.

I tend to make traditional quilts with off-beat fabrics.

grann of 6 08-18-2011 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
What do you think about this trend in quilt making?

I am not much into the modern stuff; but the nice thing about quilting is that you can do what you want, how you want. I don't ever plan to "show" my quilts and I am only trying to please myself and the ones that are receiving my quilts. There are such a multitude of patterns and fabrics out there that don't limit us to this Modern stuff. I just say "Each to his own".

MaryAnnMc 08-18-2011 04:32 AM

I always told my friend Karen I would never quilt. I admired the work that went into traditional quilts, appreciated the time and effort, but they just didn't "move" me. Then she took me into a quilt shop! Who knew there was so much gorgeous fabric out there?!? But I was only going to make pillowcases. Then I went home and started googling, and stumbled on some modern quilts. Well, it was all over! That was almost exactly one year ago: I now own a vintage Bernina, two shelves of fabric, tools everywhere, and all I think about is quilts!!

So, if it weren't for modern quilts, I would have more money, more space, and fewer friends! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

QuiltMom2 08-18-2011 04:32 AM

Any quilting is good, but I'm sticking with traditional. Just a personal preference and I have seen some great "modern" looks.