Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modern Quilt Movement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modern-quilt-movement-t145751.html)

pumpkinpatchquilter 08-18-2011 06:14 AM

I like it very much - I enjoy pretty much all types of quilting, modern included. ;)

Annie68 08-18-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
What do you think about this trend in quilt making?

Holice, lots of opinions here, so what do you think of this trend in quiltmaking?
:)

BECOOLWRAPS 08-18-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
quilting is like painting - some like Picasso and some like Thomas Kinkade. Some like both. It is a medium.

Thanks - I feel the same way - love it all!

Quiltinvaca 08-18-2011 06:23 AM

I have a friend who does all her piecing by hand and then quilts everything by hand. She started doing hand-work because she and her husband were sailing around the world for a couple of years. When they finally settled on land and she bought her first machine, she ran the needle through her finger! She boxed the machine up, took it to Goodwill and says that she'll never touch the "devil's machine" again.

elizajo 08-18-2011 06:30 AM

I love to visit art museums and look at the paintings from all styles and eras. There is something to appreciate from each. When DH would have business meetings in large cities, I would try to tag along and spend all day in museums. I have only been to one local quilt show and saw the Gee's Bend quilts at the Boston Museum of Fine Art.

When I take the time to carefully look at all styles of art or quilts, I deepen my knowledge of how to use color and balance in composition to create a piece that rises above ordinary.

Like an art show, if I were to attend one of the larger quilt shows, I would expect to see many styles of quilts of highest quality and spend time studying as many as possible. It should be an opportunity to learn new things.

This is wholly different than what I choose to make myself. There might not be a place for modern quilts in the decor of my house, but I hope that looking at the best examples at a quilt show would improve my craft.

debby wicke 08-18-2011 06:31 AM

Fabulous trend...going back to our roots.

aneokle 08-18-2011 06:37 AM

I love all the styles of quilts and think there is room for each. I am lucky enough to have 5 generations of quilts in my possesion. The youngest being my son. Hopefully I can get a granddaughter or grandson into it also. During one of the estate things I was in charge of, I not only got several of my great grandmother's quilts, but also a pattern ordered from a newspaper in early 1920s. I also got her treadle sewing machine. She promised me that when I was 8 years old. I cherish all of these. Aneokle

knotsoflove 08-18-2011 07:20 AM

I really think you have to sew what is in your heart. Everyone has a different reason for quilting. Personally, I like to quilt with a special person in mind. By the way, have you every noticed how many quilting ladies love animals?

virgwid 08-18-2011 07:23 AM

I am new to quilting, learning on some of the traditional patterns, but what I dearly love are some of the quilts by designers like Katie Pasquini - especially her 3D stuff. I am so grateful that there are quilt artists out there of every type, from the traditional to the modern and all in between. Even if I flat out don't like the look of a quilt, I can admire the obvious work and love that went into it. Virg.

Ramona Byrd 08-18-2011 08:08 AM

At the end of a long, cold day, I think the main thing to ask is....

Does it keep you warm on a cold night?

Does it comfort a small child when the wind is whistling through the cracks in the window?

Does it make the owner want to cuddle up in it's comfort zone?

Does it make you feel warm and loved when you think of the one who made it?