Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Modern Quilt Movement (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/modern-quilt-movement-t145751.html)

carolynbb 08-18-2011 08:29 AM

It's all good.

alwayslearning 08-18-2011 08:39 AM

Isn't it nice that you can decide what you want to do at any time for any project? You can try a traditional pattern, a new pattern or your own.

Anna.425 08-18-2011 08:50 AM

I think it is hysterical. I am 52 years old and have been quilting since I was 10. I learned from my grandmother who has been quilting all of her life. I am trying to figure out when the "trend" started. LOL

watson's mom 08-18-2011 09:45 AM

For some time I was under the impression that quilting was a dying art...boy was I wrong. I love any kind of quilting and have never seen a quilt I didn't love. Modern or traditional....you gotta love 'em all.

klutzyquilter 08-18-2011 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
I love modern quilts. This isn't a new trend. Ghee Bend quilts made in the late 1800's were full on modern. http://www.google.com/search?q=gee+b...w=1021&bih=802

I've developed a real appreciation for these quilts and their makers :thumbup: :thumbup:

nancy jane 08-18-2011 11:10 AM

I love it. I am a member of both the traditional quilt guild and the modern quilt guild in my area. The modern quilters think outside the box and I love what everyone produces.

Sierra 08-18-2011 11:33 AM

I don't think of Gee's Bend quilters as "artistic" in the sense I think most people here are referring to which is deliberately arranging fabric (and now "embelishments") to make an outstanding design or picture. No doubt they were (and are) artist, but they were extremely poor and used what they could get to make a quilt of love, not of astounding beauty. The designs were innate and organic, like their music. Perhaps if you are beautiful enough on the inside it shows on the outside. Their quilts show us an ultimate in quilting in so far as with very little you can make an object of love and astounding beauty. They were not bound (could not afford to be bound) by the limits of blocks and yet they made those wonderful quilts... and thereby freed many of us who have been stuck within the block concept. Ahhhh, thank you lovely ladies from Gee's Bend!

damaquilts 08-18-2011 11:44 AM

It depends on the quilt. It doesn't matter to me if it is traditional, modern, pictorial, or whatever.. Just like other art, I like everything from Graffiti art, tattoo art, to Rembrant, some Picasso, Monet, Manet etc. Sculpture,painting, fiber art.
Good color and good design, well done is what is important.

vickig626 08-18-2011 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sierra
"Modern" quilts are simply quilters having visions that others may or may not share (think of the impressionist painters!). I also admire "straight" quilts greatly, but if I have to make a huge # of the same square... well, I can't. I have 2 UFOs from the same class (one of 3 classes I've taken) and I quickly finished 1/4 of each... and had 90 more to do!!!! Friends tell me they find it very relaxing, but they must be type B personalities and I'm definitely type A.

I think about the person for whom a quilt is being designed and go from there. Sometimes I look at someone else's quilt and morph off from that to make my quilt (they'd never recognize it came from theirs) so I'm not particularly creative. Some of my quilts are blocks and some are landscapes, some are really just pictures, and some are something else. I know not everyone will like them, but I think the particular recipient has always.

Urrr, almost. A cousin won a quilt in a raffle to help a grandchild go on an international trip. After 2 years I have told him to give it back and we'll work out a design he and his wife will like. It was a pictorial of Yosemite and did have an unattractive area in it (which is being fixed) but they are conservative and want a pretty design. That's OK.

Isn't it great what a variety we are!!!! This way we may skip some quilting threads and actually find time to quilt!

I agree with you on making multiple #s of the same block. I enjoy sampler quilts for the variety and challenge each block brings.

mommafank 08-18-2011 01:01 PM

I think it depends on the purpose if the quilt. For my bed, I prefer traditional. But if I do a wallhanging I would prefer it to be a little more "artsy".