Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Money$$$ spent on hooby quilting - how do you account for it??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/money%24%24%24-spent-hooby-quilting-how-do-you-account-t174430.html)

jeank 01-05-2012 10:00 AM

Why would I want to know what is in that room? I don't spend more than my budget will allow, and I love sewing. If it is not causing me debt, no problem. I throw away the reciepts so I dont dwell on the cost.

I have told my kids to dispose of the room on ebay when I die. LOL

nycquilter 01-05-2012 10:06 AM

no matter what I spend, it's still a lot cheaper than a bad habit, like crack cocaine or any of the other drugs...or at least that's what I tell my DH when he looks at the bins (and bins and bins and bins) of fabric I have. Plus, it keeps me sane and happy. So who cares the cost? as long as it doesn't drive me into debt.

JeannieT 01-05-2012 10:22 AM

I figure as long as all the bills are paid, savings is paid, we have groceries, gas in the car etc.....it's not a problem. DH has his interests, I have mine. We both get an "allowance" to spend as we wish, but often use other money to buy stuff. We're both careful though. I have scored huge fabric deals on Craigslist, and really have all the rulers & other stuff from early on......and I'm HAPPY. which makes DH HAPPY. Life's too short.

Becky Crafts 01-05-2012 10:50 AM

I don't have a budget, but am on a fixed income so have to be quite frugal. About the most I get is a yard at a time unless I purchase a stash builder box off e-bay.

Panchita 01-05-2012 10:57 AM

I'm with the majority: as long as you are not financially irresponsible, then don't worry about it.

I have to admit I am wondering why you have kept all the receipts etc. - is this a tax thing? is it just curiosity? is it with a view to building a budget? I am not being sarky - nosy, yes, mean, no - I am genuinely curious

onaemtnest 01-05-2012 11:10 AM

Opinions on this interesting thread are as varied as a patchwork quilt :0)

We all spend what we can on the things we choose. Some will spend judicially, some people truly spend money they shouldn't. If you are overwhelmed with guilt at spending on something like quilting, then I don't think it's a hobby anymore it's in danger of becoming a real burden.

owlvamp 01-05-2012 11:14 AM

I dont, this is something I enjoy so I don't put a $ amount on it. However, I don't go and spend hundreds of dollars every time I am at the LQS .I buy what I need when I need it for the most part. I try to get sales for I do a lot for charity. Main thing for me is I have fun and love what I do.

GEMRM 01-05-2012 12:03 PM

I have budgeted and penny pinched throughout my life, and now I am at the more comfortable level of being able to "gently" indulge in my hobby. I have some stash, not nearly as much as others but enough. I have slowed down on buying books etc as I realize how much I can find for free on the internet thanks to everyone here. As I have slowly amassed most of the tools I will ever need, I spend very little on them now. Life has taught me that it's meant to be enjoyed in the now as we know not how long we may have.

BellaBoo 01-05-2012 12:18 PM

I went over my checking account records online and did a round up running total in my head from last year. Counting quilt retreats, classes, fees, traveling to quilt shows, weekend shop hops, hotel rooms, and general stash buying I spent over $8k.

KathyPhillips 01-05-2012 12:24 PM

I love Marshall's!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 4842268)
No budget and a DH who doesn't care how much fabric I buy. I spent over $300 yesterday at Marshall's and I didn't need any fabric at all but it sure looks good in my stash! I went with three other quilting friends and I spent the least amount. I know my quilting friends out spend me on every shopping trip so really I need to catch up.

I thought you were talking about the Marshall's dept store, then I saw you are from AR! I love Marshall's Dry Goods in ARKANSAS! You can buy a lot more at Marshall's in AR than at any LQS. They have wonderful fabric and great deals!

Kathy in TX