Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Monster Quilt again - another question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/monster-quilt-again-another-question-t198217.html)

rush88888 08-22-2012 08:31 AM

i would use the same stitch on all pieces on one quilt unless there is a strong reason not to.

quilt addict 08-22-2012 08:45 AM

I like the blanket stitch with the contrasting black thread, more traditional I guess.

The ones that I have seen that use the satin stitch the thread matched the fabric so it was not as noticable.

I think you can mix and match on one quilt what looks best. Sometimes on small pieces the blanket stitch is hard to make look good if there are sharp curves.

FroggyinTexas 08-22-2012 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by quiltyfeelings (Post 5455592)
I LOVE the home-made look of the blanket stitch. It will ALWAYS look more consistent than any satin stitch or zigzag. That would be the teal blue and lime green pieces :)

I agree. froggyintexas

lfstamper 08-22-2012 09:36 AM

Blanket is the one.

MimiBug123 08-22-2012 10:11 AM

Your blanket stitches look great! I'd go with that one for sure. Can't wait to see all of your scary monsters!

ShirlR 08-22-2012 10:55 AM

I, too, like the blanket stitch. It gives it that hand-sewn look.

IdahoSandy 08-22-2012 11:24 AM

I like the blanket stitch(turquoise one), as it looks like hand done.

margecam52 08-22-2012 02:54 PM

the blanket stitches, either #14 or #21..prefer 21. These are really pretty when done in contrasting colors like your samples.
Realize these are just samples..but have a couple of hints for turning corners/curves.

Go slow, you are not in a race. try to end the corners with the needle inside the applique, needle down, lift presser foot, turn the fabric, put the foot down and continue. On inside curves...go about 1/2", stop, needle down, lift presser foot, turn fabric slightly, foot down and continue. Same for outside curves. Don't start/end on the edge of a corner...it will always show...start about 1/2" from the corner.
Hope you post pics when you get done.

Originally Posted by Scakes (Post 5455532)
Things are progressing on the monster quilt. I started over and have 11 blocks cut out and fused. It's time to start the applique stitching around the edges. I found 3 stitches on my sewing machine that will work. One is a looser smaller satin stitch than the one I tried originally (which did not work well). The other two stitches are buttonhole stitches I think - I tried 1 of them in two sizes and the other stitch I used the size that is programmed into the machine.

I would appreciate it if some of you would look at these stitches and see which ones you think look best.

Is it ok to use the buttonhole outline and the satin stitch on the same block or should I do it all in 1 stitch?

I'm very rusty as far as sewing with these stitches goes so I will practice on scraps before starting the actual quilt blocks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any comments, suggestions, help etc that you may offer.

Hope the stitches show up in the photo good enough so you can see them. :)

ging10ging 08-22-2012 03:03 PM

I like the turquoise and also the green on the right. Sue

ube quilting 08-22-2012 03:06 PM

I like the size of your blanket stitch on the blue sample. The stitch is not to deep and doesn't overpower the block.
Anxious to see this completed!

peace