Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   More stolen quilts! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-stolen-quilts-t183064.html)

GrannieAnnie 03-17-2012 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by Spice (Post 5067358)
Unfortunately there are people that target people at shows. They watch fro them when they leave and follow them. My husband is into an expensive hobby and this has happened to several of the dealers from the shows he attends. Some have even gone to the extreme of attaching a tracking device on the car they target so they are sure to be able to follow. They wait for the person to stop for food or the night on their way home and break into the car and steal everything. Some have even been beaten up. One they followed home and when he went into the house they cleaned out his car. Just be aware and keep your eyes open. They have caught some but items were long gone.

Can the tables be turned and some sort of tracking device be attached to a sewing machine or slipped inside a hem or somehow hidden from site?

I'm guessing an unknowing thief would most likely try to fence a sewing machine rather than a quilt. On the other hand if the thief dumps the quilt, the quilt could be tracked, too.

Don't know what size or weight the tracking devices are.

jaciqltznok 03-17-2012 07:37 AM

actually MANY quilt/fiber artists are now Microchipping their works for this very reason!

jaciqltznok 03-17-2012 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5067616)
Please tell me that the thieves dumped the contents where they could be found,.

uuummm...no! I felt so bad for the vendor who came from Minnesota...it was their first time to OKcity...some welcome mat...

Candace 03-17-2012 08:40 AM

So I guess I should wonder about how decent a quilter I am. Hubby left the car unlocked in the driveway. I had a quilt in the car. All they took was the ashtray that contained about $2. 64 in change. The ashtray will go unreplaced because I don't smoke and it will cost about $50 for a new one. They left my quilt in the car! Guess they weren't too pleased with the pattern or fabric.

GrannieAnnie 03-17-2012 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5067832)
So I guess I should wonder about how decent a quilter I am. Hubby left the car unlocked in the driveway. I had a quilt in the car. All they took was the ashtray that contained about $2. 64 in change. The ashtray will go unreplaced because I don't smoke and it will cost about $50 for a new one. They left my quilt in the car! Guess they weren't too pleased with the pattern or fabric.

On the other hand the quilt might not have fit in the coke machine! tee hee

BellaBoo 03-17-2012 09:01 AM

A microchip won't help unless the item is scanned with a reader. Very unlikely unless the police find it and know the stolen item has the chip and then very few police dept have readers anyway. I have learned by pass experience having my car window broken out at motels to park right in front of the lobby. If I have to wait for a spot I will. I never park in the back or at the end. Anything left in the car goes in the trunk. I bought a battery door alarm that is easy to put in the trunk when I leave anything in there. It's loud! I bought it from one of the gadget catalogs a few years ago.
I don't trust not having a low life somewhere close by where ever I am. It has cost me too much money and heartache to know that low lifes are everywhere. Even in my own driveway.

MaryMo 03-17-2012 09:22 AM

Your suggestions are good ones. Unexpected loud noises makes most people uncomfortable ... maybe thieves too. With everyone parking at the lobby maybe hotels/motels will take additional measures to protect customers.

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5067891)
A microchip won't help unless the item is scanned with a reader. Very unlikely unless the police find it and know the stolen item has the chip and then very few police dept have readers anyway. I have learned by pass experience having my car window broken out at motels to park right in front of the lobby. If I have to wait for a spot I will. I never park in the back or at the end. Anything left in the car goes in the trunk. I bought a battery door alarm that is easy to put in the trunk when I leave anything in there. It's loud! I bought it from one of the gadget catalogs a few years ago.
I don't trust not having a low life somewhere close by where ever I am. It has cost me too much money and heartache to know that low lifes are everywhere. Even in my own driveway.

Maureen 03-17-2012 09:28 AM

I never leave things in plain view. Everything is in the trunk, and I put it ion there before I park the car. So sad we have to do that

beatys9 03-17-2012 11:06 AM

Sad angry to hear this, again! Jacquie - please post the link when it goes up so we can see the quilts & keep an eye out for them. I'm far away from where this happened but spend lots of time online surfing...

quilt3311 03-18-2012 03:46 AM

That is so sad. I hope all of these quilts are found. Anymore if I am doing a trunk show and staying over at a motel, I bring all my quilts inside and then reload in the morning. Lots of extra work, but just hurts my heart when quilts are stolen.