Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   more uses 4 alumin foil (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/more-uses-4-alumin-foil-t95318.html)

yellowsnow55 02-01-2011 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Here is another thought...if it will sharpen scissors, what would it do for our rotary blades???

I was thinking the same thing, must try it.

yellowsnow55 02-01-2011 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Here is another thought...if it will sharpen scissors, what would it do for our rotary blades???

DON'T EVEN GO NEAR ALUMINUM FOIL WITH A ROTARY BLADE! iT WILL MAKE IT DULL INSTANTLY!
It works for scizzors because they intersect two flat blades,
The rotary is a double sided pointed blade. JP

I better not try.

kathidahl 02-01-2011 06:55 AM

That toasted sandwich thing is VERY old...we used it in our dorm rooms in college..and I am VERY old. Funny about the ironing board (first, did you notice that there was no pad on that ironing board LOL) I asked this board recently about how they cover their ironing board...got good responses. I ended up making my own cover and I love it, but I put a layer of aluminium foil between the two commercial pads that were left over from previous covers I had purchased. It is the best cover/padding I have ever had! I am going to try the foil ball in the dryer today. I use the balls someone else mentioned..they soften, but do not de-static! And if I cannot keep using the same ball of foil, it will not be in my frugalistic bag of tricks.

bsktkeeper 02-01-2011 07:45 AM

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

thrums 02-01-2011 10:01 AM

You can clean sterling silver with aluminum foil, water and washing soda. Pierce the foil for better solution movement. Lay the foil in a tupperware sandwich-size container. Fill 3/4 with water. Add 2 tablespoons washing soda (not baking soda) and stir. Set your sterling silver in the solution until the oxide is released. 30 seconds or so. Then rinse and buff.

Do not use on silver that has marquisite or darkened designs (eg. lettering).

burnsk 02-01-2011 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by thrums
You can clean sterling silver with aluminum foil, water and washing soda. Pierce the foil for better solution movement. Lay the foil in a tupperware sandwich-size container. Fill 3/4 with water. Add 2 tablespoons washing soda (not baking soda) and stir. Set your sterling silver in the solution until the oxide is released. 30 seconds or so. Then rinse and buff.

Do not use on silver that has marquisite or darkened designs (eg. lettering).

This works - I used Calgon

kathidahl 02-01-2011 11:35 AM

I can report that the foil in the dryer does NOT take away the static..tried it out this morning..

Pinkiris 02-01-2011 01:40 PM

With dial-up internet service, I don't click on video links. I'm gettin old fast enough as it is!! LOL
Can somebody please tell me what the video said about foil and brown sugar?

Sue

dmackey 02-01-2011 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pinkiris
With dial-up internet service, I don't click on video links. I'm gettin old fast enough as it is!! LOL
Can somebody please tell me what the video said about foil and brown sugar?

Sue

It said to wrap the hard brown sugar in foil, put in in a preheated 300º oven for 5 minutes and it will crumble easily.

Diane

Pinkiris 02-01-2011 02:49 PM

Thanks Diane!

The baby in your avatar is cute enough to eat!!

Sue