Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Most Excellent Patterns & Instructions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/most-excellent-patterns-instructions-t279761.html)

UncleGravy 06-20-2016 04:47 AM

Most Excellent Patterns & Instructions

What does it take to turn your custom quilt into a pattern for sale or distribution. I'd like to get some insight beyond my own experience, of what makes a great pattern from the quilter's point of view. My focus is on independent designers, so more looking for opinions on individual patterns rather than published books.

What are some things that can make or break a quilt pattern (besides having mistakes)? Is there a pattern that sticks out in your memory as being very well done and easy to follow?

Doggramma 06-20-2016 04:54 AM

Elizabeth Hartman's "Forest Friends" and the reason is the colored drawings showing you exactly what to do. A lot of wordiness confuses me. I like to see what I'm supposed to do.

ontheriver 06-20-2016 05:01 AM

Written and VISUAL instructions.

tessagin 06-20-2016 05:09 AM

In laymans's terms.

Originally Posted by ontheriver (Post 7581688)
Written and VISUAL instructions.

hcarpanini 06-20-2016 05:25 AM

Good pressing directions! Frustrating when seams don't lock when joining.

UncleGravy 06-20-2016 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 7581678)
Elizabeth Hartman's "Forest Friends" and the reason is the colored drawings showing you exactly what to do. A lot of wordiness confuses me. I like to see what I'm supposed to do.

I'm the same way, would much rather have a diagram than a paragraph of texts. That's why I always like Pam Bono's patterns, tons of diagrams.

Krisb 06-20-2016 05:39 AM

Alternative cutting/construction directions. At the very least, measurements for completed subunits. For instance, many have personal favorite HST and/or flying geese construction preferences. If I know the flying geese unit will finish at 2/4, I know how large the required squares for the 4 at a time method should be. Did I mention size of subunits?

cjsews 06-20-2016 05:42 AM

All cutting directions at start of pattern helps. I am working on a project where the cutting is as a step occurs

Wholeheart Mom 06-20-2016 05:42 AM

I also love to hear the "story" behind the quilt pattern, if there is one. The inspiration for it, how it makes the designer feel.... I know that is all fluff, but I find it quite interesting and it really adds to the appeal (at least for me it does!)

UncleGravy 06-20-2016 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb (Post 7581726)
Alternative cutting/construction directions. At the very least, measurements for completed subunits. For instance, many have personal favorite HST and/or flying geese construction preferences. If I know the flying geese unit will finish at 2/4, I know how large the required squares for the 4 at a time method should be. Did I mention size of subunits?

That's a good point - related, should the yardage requirements include the range of methods that may be used? with the possibility of extra? My go to method of HST has a fair amount of fabric waste compared to the 4 at a time. I know from talking to a few LQS, they prefer minimum yardage to make kitting economical.