Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   motivation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/motivation-t224772.html)

Letty 07-01-2013 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by sahm4605 (Post 6149959)
It has been months since I have done any real quilting. and it is driving me nuts. I want to but just cant get motivated. I have 4 quilts in various stages of done-ness and I have three more that I would love to work on but I just don't have the motivation to sit down and sew. mostly because when I do both my kids (5 1/2 and almost 4) come in the dinning room where I sew and want to get into everything and are trying to talk to me. I love my kids but PLEASE let me have 5 min of quiet to get into the grove of sewing. I can't sit anymore and sew for ong periods of time because of back and neck problems from a car accident last august. How do you guys get up and do it. Looking on here has helped get my flair for it back but how do you guys just get motivated to sew?

Hi, Motivation is so often a problem, I have really bad back and neck pain and waiting for an operation that may-- or not help.Then my lovely husband created a sewing room for me-- very small but everything to hand, then I spent time on this forum and the fantastic help on youtube .I now feel a real buzz and motivated.Give your children time, they are precious but allocate time for yourself too. We have to make space for ourselves to help cope with what life gives us. Perhaps you could give the children something to do as you sew -- sort out your threads or scraps maybe. Keep cheerful, bless you, I'm 73 years old but creativity still continues. x

Wanabee Quiltin 07-01-2013 08:56 AM

I am not sure it's motivation you need right now. I would suggest that your two children have quiet time while you sew. It's respecting your boundaries with your children. I know as mothers we love our children but they need to know that we have things we like to do without them. Even my grandchildren know that I have time for myself when they come over, they sit quietly and play by themselves. We do not need to entertain our children, they need to learn to entertain themselves. I am a mother of 4 and grandmother to many.

jfowles 07-01-2013 06:23 PM

Don't push it, maybe it's time to rest!

leakus 07-01-2013 06:55 PM

I only have one kid but I wrk full time, so from when he was born until we moved and I had my sewing room I wasn't able to sew. then I would sew for a few minutes and felt like you I was lacking motivation. I think it is not motivation, you are probably tired. I would not push myself and would wait until the mojo comes back. Maybe what you can do is E-quilt, as I say it, go online, look for patterns and possible projects. Buy yourself a notebook and start a project, think of colors, patterns and measurements. Maybe if you have a stash, start building a kit for a quilt, cut one fabric at the time. Make sure you label everything so you dont forget. If you still dont feel like seating down. Choose another one.
Good luck. Also,while e-quilting (virtual cyber quilting) navegate through patchwork blogs, you will find very different interesting ideas out there. You will see.
Andrea

oldtisme 07-01-2013 07:22 PM

Letty I'm sorry to hear of your back and neck problems and especially sorry you will be having surgery than may or may not help, if it's a neurostimulator your thinking of having put in...DON'T do it. I had it done and 6 yes 6 surgeries later I am without the stim & in worse pain than I ever was before. I can only sit or stand for certain lengths of time. Of course the sitting is either quilting now or this board and the standing is doing what little I can around the house. You have my deepest prayers that your surgery will help you.

Letty 07-02-2013 09:44 AM

Thank you for your message,it is always an encouragement when someone understands what you are going through.Two consultants differ in what they think may help---neither sure how much help they can offer !! Well I tell you , the love of my husband and friends help most.Lately my hands have been so painful, but I thank the Lord that the pain is not coming from my hands, just trapped nerves in my back and neck, so I know it may improve when things move.I think if you have a craft you love it helps too. I'm sorry for the Mums out there who find it hard to have time for themselves to sew, hope they can pass on their love of creating to the children in time, that will prove a joy to them.Thanks again oldtisme, may you toofind some relief. Love Letty

narnianquilter 07-02-2013 11:24 AM

I know the feeling, my kids are 22 months and 2 months! The best advice I can give, is in the morning before they get up, go and set up whatever project you want to work on (get bobbins wound, machine threaded ect). Then, impose a quiet time. Choose 1 hour a day (right after lunch works for my 22 mo old), and tell the kids that the only rule is that they must stay on their beds. Let them take a few toys, a book, whatever. Separate them if you have to by putting one kid on your bed or maybe on separate couches? Whatever works in your house. Then quilt for that hour!

mpeters1200 07-04-2013 02:24 PM

My kids are all boys and stair step. Until recently, they were 9,10 and 11 and now they are 9, 11 and 12 for a few months. My oldest one is Autistic and his toddler years were absolute HADES. I was a stay at home mom, but my husband was gone traveling for work all the time, so I was also a single mother.

My late mother in law qot me interested in quilting cause she knew I was going to go crazy with all the boys at home, one in various stage of scream all the time. I looked at it like a job at first. I would ONLY do it after the kids were in bed, but then started bringing it out an hour or so each afternoon when Noggin played Blue's Clues for an hour. It was the only show in which all 3 boys would just sit there quietly mesmorized.

I worked an hour each day and one each night and just treated it like a job at first. Something I HAD to do. I didn't have anyone close to watch the kids and play dates were out of the question with the issues my eldest had. I came so I loved it so much I hated when my hour was up and looked at the clock throughout the evening waiting on bed time. Quickly it became something I wanted to do and not had to do. It was one of the first ways I was able to get some time to myself which is something important for every mom to have. It's a way of taking care of yourself too. Eventually, I picked up hand quilting so I could do it while sitting in the living room with the boys when they were older.

Ironically enough, I got a lot more done then than I do now. But now, whenever I do have my stuff out, all 3 boys are always interested in what I'm doing and sometimes it'll end up that I have little (well is 5 foot tall still little?) quilt inspectors that go through the process with me.

I have two boys interested in sewing on their own and I've taught them it's not just a girl thing, even though I do not personally know any men quilters, but the one's on here have been great inspiration to me to encourage my boys.

sewbeadit 07-04-2013 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by DebraK (Post 6150098)
I had to wait until my son was in school before I had time to quilt for more than an hour or two. It gets better.

Me too, the kids just want to be with you, so I gave up and didn't sew much till my kids were in school. Some people have better ways to do it but that was the best for me.