Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: motivation

motivation

It has been months since I have done any real quilting. and it is driving me nuts. I want to but just cant get motivated. I have 4 quilts in various stages of done-ness and I have three more that I would love to work on but I just don't have the motivation to sit down and sew. mostly because when I do both my kids (5 1/2 and almost 4) come in the dinning room where I sew and want to get into everything and are trying to talk to me. I love my kids but PLEASE let me have 5 min of quiet to get into the grove of sewing. I can't sit anymore and sew for long periods of time because of back and neck problems from a car accident last august. How do you guys get up and do it. Looking on here has helped get my flair for it back but how do you guys just get motivated to sew?
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Sometimes I give myself a deadline or do a project for someone that must get done. Once I get going it is hard to stop!! Try sitting down after the kids go to bed. Good luck.

Sometimes I am not motivated for very long stretches of time. Nothing but me gets in my way. I would say just wait til the mood strikes and don't worry about it.

Blog Entries
    Today not motivated to do anything because I have a a
    Ight problem and trying to work it out. So no sewing today but plenty of reading this site.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Power Poster
    I like to get a project ready to go for sewing with Bonnie Hunter. She does Quilt Cam at her site www.quiltville.blogspot.com and it is like having a sew along with a friend in my sewing room. It is usually an hour and a half and I can get a lot done. The sessions are archived but I like to watch while it is a live feed.

I allowed myself 30-45 mins of sewing every day after my kids were in bed. I always wound a bobbin when I was finished so I could start the next night with a full bobbin.
    ~Laura

Maybe you need to treat yourself with a few hours of a babysitter, so you can work in peace! Is there a grandma that could take them for a day or two? I do that for my grandkids and the mom's are very recharged afterwards

I had to wait until my son was in school before I had time to quilt for more than an hour or two. It gets better.
    I have chosen to be happy because it is good for my health - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    When kids are that age, they are very time consuming. I couldn't think of quilting at that stage of my life. Mine are now 21 and 19, and I've just been quilting close to 2 yrs. Great that you've been able to do any sewing! The time you devote to your kids now is not lost; it's a precious thing and great investment. Your days of uninterrupted quilting time will come - even when you get both of them in school will help. Hang in there!
    Mavis

That's kids for you! They see you doing something fun and they want to do it. Let them sit in the same room as you, but find something for each of them to do. Tell them it is quiet time, they can color, play a video game, etc. Let them glue the snippets of fabric onto paper and make a picture, (if you can trust them to not make a mess with the glue). Something to keep them occupied, but each doing their own thing. Maybe a special toy that they can only play with at quiet time. Even if it is 10-15 minutes the first few times, extend the time daily. Good luck. They're only that age for a very little time!

Quote Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
    That's kids for you! They see you doing something fun and they want to do it. Let them sit in the same room as you, but find something for each of them to do. Tell them it is quiet time, they can color, play a video game, etc. Let them glue the snippets of fabric onto paper and make a picture, (if you can trust them to not make a mess with the glue). Something to keep them occupied, but each doing their own thing. Maybe a special toy that they can only play with at quiet time. Even if it is 10-15 minutes the first few times, extend the time daily. Good luck. They're only that age for a very little time!
    I agree. You will be teaching your children how to work (or play) independently AND teaching them the importance and how to relax and enjoy a hobby.

When my kids were that age, I couldn't sew until they went to bed. (I had 4).

Perhaps you could schedule a "play date" and sew, and then repay the favor. We did that a lot when I was raising kids.

Don't be hard on yourself. Raising kids is hard work. It's easier to go to work than raise kids, IMHO.
    Last edited by Girlfriend; 06-29-2013 at 05:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    Cherish the time with the wee ones. You never know what life may bring and if you spend time now, you are building a great relationship with them for the teen years. It's hard work and selfless to raise kids...especially when you want to do something else. I DO remember the stress and the need for "me" time. I used to have mine have a "quiet time" in the PM for about 45 minutes. They'd be in their rooms with books and I could sew or embroider. Then we'd all be recharged and ready to go for the rest of the day. By the way, they were readers before they ever went to school! Also, see if there are other moms that you can trust to trade a couple of hours of child care with now and then.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

i have friends and grandma to watch the kids. its just thast when i have quiet time I just want to take a nap or clean up. my problem is finding the most vation to sit down and sew.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

When my kids were little, I used to eagerly await nap time or better yet...bedtime & then have at it!! :-) At that point I had a corner spot out of the way that I could leave my machine set up on. It saved set up time gave me that few extra minutes to sew. As the old saying goes...inch by inch, everything's a cinch! ;-) I hope you get your quilting mojo back soon!
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    How about giving the kids something to do craft-wise, something age appropriate, that they can work on while you sew. They are kind of young to sit still for long spans of time, but shorter spans are doable. I don't have any children, but I find after being out of work over a year, and finally landing a full time job, I am just too tired at the end of the day to quilt. Weekends I plan to sew, but don't seem to do it. I don't have a sewing room, so I have take out my machine and put it away each time I use it. I think we all go through this at one time or another. Even when I don't sew, I still think about it. at some point the urge comes back. Don't give up!
    Luv Quilts and Cats
    Never underestimate the healing effects of beauty. - Florence Nightingale

When I was working and my kids were little I would get up early and sew for 30 minutes - but I had a room that I could close the door and leave my project waiting. If the kids were awake my son would be in the same room and use his dump truck to haul the scraps to the garbage. It is difficult to get any "me" time when you have little ones. They do grow up fast so treasure the time you do have with them.

When my kids were little I only did garment sewing, mostly for them. As they got into school it was easier to find a chance to work on it. I remember doing more crocheting with kids on my lap than sewing. But I have pictures of two of them in cute little matching tan leisure suits and four of them in purple and blue plaid western shirts (one of each for Dad too) that I made. Of course once they were in school there were costumes for school plays, the Christmas parade, etc - a pig, a lion, a candy cane, a donkey, an angel, a Wise Man, a shepherd, a poodle skirt, the list goes on.

Didn't start quilting until fairly recently. And there are weeks when I don't get near my sewing machine and days that it seems like I'm there nearly all day.

Some of it is other priorities and some is desire or lack thereof. I've always been a "have to be in the mood" crafter of whatever struck my fancy at the time. Of course some projects had deadlines so that entered the picture as well.

Good luck on getting motivated again!

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    i have friends and grandma to watch the kids. its just thast when i have quiet time I just want to take a nap or clean up. my problem is finding the most vation to sit down and sew.
    Ok, if it's just motivation you need, try to find a quilt show to go to! Always works for me. Good luck. I never had time for anything like that when my kids were little, so you're doing better than I did in that respect. My only quiet time was spent gardening, because no one, husband included, would help me pull weeds, etc. As a result, none of them (kids are adults now) know the difference between a flower, weed, or rock. And they have recently expressed regrets for not helping/learning---all except one, lol!

Push yourself to do a minimum of 1/2 hour a day on the UFO's and I think the motivation will come.

Have a quilting friend come over for coffee (or tea) and just chat. It just may turn into the spark you need to get started again. I always do better with a friend!

When my oldest was beyond taking an afternoon nap, we still had 'quiet time' from 1-3 p.m. During this time she was expected to be in her room playing or reading quietly while her little sister napped and Mommy had some time to herself. Once both children were beyond napping, we kept quiet time, because it was good for them to have some down time during the day. it also taught them to entertain themselves and not need constant intervention.
    My girls are 9 and 11 now, so official quiet time is long gone, but they've come to view their rooms as a place of solace and frequently head there themselves when they need to relax or get away during the day. I even notice them heading into the camper in the afternoons when we camp with other families, just to decompress a little bit.
    I hope you'll give it a try. It has benefits for everyone involved.

Just remember they grow up fast. I didn't sew much when my kids were little. Now I wish they were still little. You can find a little me time if you work at it. Maybe when they're playing games or watching tv.

I use to quilt with my SIL's when we lived in Wisconsin. We would have weekend marathon sews and I got so much done and enjoyed the visiting....and help if I needed it. Then we moved 800 miles away. I was so worried that I wouldn't sew without the company of someone. So what I did to get me started was set the timer on my microwave for 1 hr. I would make myself go in the sewing room for 1 hr and I could come out when the timer went off...didn't take me long before I had to set the time to make myself QUIT!!

From your one post it sounds like you need the time more for taking care of yourself than quilting at this point....quilting is still more like work. Don't force yourself. It will become enjoyable again after you've given yourself time to rest and recharge. Like others have said, raising children is hard work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast