Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I need some motivation please!

I haven't sewn in ages.

How do you get motivated to get back into it?

I've had an incredibly stressful couple of weeks, and tonight when I should be sewing I'm sitting staring blankly at the tv watching a movie I have no interest in.

I've got to get my black and white blocks finished (have four left to do) and they need to be in the mail in the next three days. And have 2 miniature quilts for the swap to do.

And I just can't get motivated.

Help!

My neighbour's house burned down the week before last, very frightening, in the middle of the night as these things always are. He wasn't home at the time, but we didn't realise that for quite a while.

Then my partner had a "cardiac episode" the same night, bought on when he couldn't find me (I was helping the neighbour get their kids and puppies out).

And Friday just gone my 11 year old got rushed to hospital by ambulance, strapped to a back board, with a suspected neck injury. He's fine, thank god, it's muscular not spinal. But was another very frightening few hours.

I think I need a vacation!

I hear you and I am in the same boat. I have moved into my new sewing room and I should be all over it but I just haven't been. I have been looking for my inspiration in mags and books and on the web but I am spending hours looking and no time doing. SO tonight I just made myself go down there and start something I should have done a month ago and I have been up all night long. I didn't sleep Friday night into Sat and now I have been up for 24 hours straight and I could stay up all day I believe. I made something small so if my lack of enthusiasm ruined it I wouldn't be too upset. You just have to start and you will be glad you did. It is like exerciser or visiting the in laws. You don't want to but once you do you are glad you did.

Something small is probably a good idea.... all my projects at the moment are a bit overwhelming.

:-)

Blog Entries
    Oh my goodness...I can see why you're not motivated. I think you just need time for your heart to stop racing. Maybe quilting feels too frivolous when so much serious stuff is going on? Maybe you just need to give yourself permission to sew. :-)

I'm in the same boat...I haven't sewed since mid-April--but the equine are taking up all my extra time. :roll:

I've been the same way at times, but I find that I just have to force myself in there to get things done. Hate when that happens!

Maybe just do something little, then build back up to your big things.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    BC, I think we've all ben in the same boat at one time or another. I'm just starting quilting again after taking about two years off. Just concentrated on my genealogy and other stuff. This board has been good for getting me back to the sewing machine. Start small, and if it isn't working, put it aside and just relax. It will come when all the other stuff is out of the way. It is hard to concentrate when you have all that other stuff going on. We're all here for you.

I know you didn't ask of a hug but I think you need one.

{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}

You'll find your happy sewing mod again. Go warp yourself in one of your lovely quilts. Think of it as a hug from all of us. :-)

I'm sorry that you've had all these trials and tribulations in your life recently, but hopefully that's all over now. As far as motivation, one of the members on board, said to spend just 15 minutes a day doing something in your sewing room(reorganizing your stash, sewing, etc) and the motivation will come.

There is a lot going on in my life right now and I can relate to all of your stress. Sometimes I just want off of the merry go round. I find that getting my sewing organized really helps. My life is sort of cluttered up with lots of responsibilities that will not be going away, so it helps when I can step into an uncluttered room.

Banned
    Sit with a plain scrap and play with all your decorative stitches. I do that alot just to get me going.

Blog Entries
    So sorry to hear about all of the stress that has been in your life recently...glad to hear that your son is not hurt as bad as you originally thought...they can be the death of us!!!!
    Sometimes I just have to tell myself to look at my projects like it is a job. I will go to "work" for X amount of time each day until I get whatever needs to be done, finished. Surprisingly, it can be the motivation I need to get back into the sewing groove.

BC, I'm so glad you started this thread, 'Sorry for all the upheaval that's been going on. Hope everything settles down this week , back to normal for you,

I can't get in the mood to sew either, and still need to do [email protected] blocks and a surprise gift and mini quilt. Tried to work last night , but stitches were awful and had to take them out. I just can't get going and it is driving me crazy,
    I think amma may be right, see it as a job for awhile, I think I'll try that today.

Hang in there and know you are not alone in the way you feel, it seems to be a normal thing, after reading these posts! That makes me feel a little better :D

Make something small just for you. Hyacinths for the soul my MIL used to call them.

Power Poster
    bc - wow - hope things settle down for you.

As far as the sewing goes, how much of that is a MUST do versus SHOULD do versus WANT to do? What is the worst that would happen if you just closed the door on everything for a while?

Also, with all the stuff going on in your life, I appreciate your taking time out for the kind words you sent to me.

OMG! You have your hands full with LIFE! Praying that all will settle down and you can take a breath! Try a wannado, a small sample if you iwll. But don't force yourself. When health issues come up, everything else has to wait! Maybe put together some hand work that you can take with you away from the sewing room.

Banned
    when i get into a sew funk i always make a handbag.

it always lifts my mood to have a cute bag to sport around town

Quote Originally Posted by BlueChicken
    My neighbour's house burned down the week before last, very frightening, in the middle of the night as these things always are. He wasn't home at the time, but we didn't realise that for quite a while.

Then my partner had a "cardiac episode" the same night, bought on when he couldn't find me (I was helping the neighbour get their kids and puppies out).

And Friday just gone my 11 year old got rushed to hospital by ambulance, strapped to a back board, with a suspected neck injury. He's fine, thank god, it's muscular not spinal. But was another very frightening few hours.

I think I need a vacation!
    oh, Blue, first thing you need is a HUG! ouch, you stepped on my toe...it's ok...they're only 1/4" long.
    (compared to your 8-10 inchers :roll: :lol: )
    well, we were talking about you coming to visit, and sew with me...now's the time...hop on a plane, don't try to 'wing' it, lol :D
    I'll get you back in the mood, if we don't yack it up, too much! well, you'll be in the mood, even if we don't get much sewing done, lol!
    we'll have you from :cry: to 8) in no time, dude! :XD:

Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie
    I'm sorry that you've had all these trials and tribulations in your life recently, but hopefully that's all over now. As far as motivation, one of the members on board, said to spend just 15 minutes a day doing something in your sewing room(reorganizing your stash, sewing, etc) and the motivation will come.
    sounds funny, but I mean it! what were those sex therapists names?
    (years ago), they would have ppl that were bored do things, but
    NO SEX...go, sit in your sewing area, with no pressure to do anything.
    The urge will come back, eventually.
    (funny, it doesn't always work that way with, sex, lol! :roll: :mrgreen: )

Blog Entries
    Blue Chicken,
    I can certainly relate to your situation.
    How are you feeling, after your bad cold?
    Mine is getting better, but I still have no
    energy to sew. I did finish my second set
    of B&W blocks yesterday. Now I am working
    on your Doll Quilt. I sure hope you like it!!
    Give yourself a BIG {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS: It's 1:05 PM Sunday, June 14th, 2009

You can always make me something if you're stumped! I think all quilters get in those ruts. No worries, your quilting mojo will return. You're too talented to stop now!

Blog Entries
    Bluechick, with all the excitement and stress in your life, you need to decompress. I noticed that you started your sewing references with "I HAVE to" and I think that may be part of the problem. Why don't you put the "have tos" in line behind something fun (a "want to")? When I get in that mode, I go through my books and magazines, pet my fabric, and see what speaks to me. Don't worry sweets, everything will balance out again.

BTW - glad everyone is OK.

Hugs from CA. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll send a kick in the pants. lol

THANK YOU! :-)

I knew you guys would understand.

I'm off to work in a sec, but this afternoon I'm going to start with tidying up and putting things back where they belong. And if I don't feel highly motivated, I'm going to do a little something just to get in the mood. I have a stunning piece of Japanese style fabric and a little metal purse handle waiting to be turned into a little purse. No piecing, just a straight bag shape and then attach it to the handles, how hard can it be!

The difference between "needs" and "wants" is a biggy.... and I have ditched the thought of doing two sets of b&w's because I know I just won't get it done. Unless I score a day off work this week.... hmmmmm....... *wonders how to swing that*
    But everything else comes under the "REALLY want to" heading, so kind of qualifies as a Need! lol

It's actually a really good point.... having to do something takes a lot of the fun out of something, puts that little bit of pressure on. And some days I just don't do pressure.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by SulaBug
    Blue Chicken,
    I can certainly relate to your situation.
    How are you feeling, after your bad cold?
    Mine is getting better, but I still have no
    energy to sew. I did finish my second set
    of B&W blocks yesterday. Now I am working
    on your Doll Quilt. I sure hope you like it!!
    Give yourself a BIG {{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}
    :D :D :D :D :D :D

PS: It's 1:05 PM Sunday, June 14th, 2009
    It's a lot better now... has turned into one of those nagging coughs that sneak up on you though! While in A&E on Friday night there was a woman in the waiting room getting yelled at by one of the staff, she had "flu symptoms" and Wellington has an outbreak of swine flu, so she wasn't supposed to be in the waiting room, was supposed to be in a special clinic set aside. I felt sorry for her getting yelled at, but at the same time was angry that she was putting my baby at risk. I have to be honest and admit that a week quarantined at home sounds mighty attractive right now! lol

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Bluechick, with all the excitement and stress in your life, you need to decompress. I noticed that you started your sewing references with "I HAVE to" and I think that may be part of the problem. Why don't you put the "have tos" in line behind something fun (a "want to")? When I get in that mode, I go through my books and magazines, pet my fabric, and see what speaks to me. Don't worry sweets, everything will balance out again.

BTW - glad everyone is OK.

Hugs from CA. If that doesn't help, let me know and I'll send a kick in the pants. lol
    *blush* I'm so glad someone else "pets" their fabrics! LMAO

Sometimes I like to just run my hands over them, pull out the pieces I really like, and put them into groups.

And I might need the kick in the pants, have so much other stuff to do as well! lol

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast