Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Motivation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/motivation-t65118.html)

AlyssaR 09-16-2010 04:01 PM

Ok I am working on a quilt for a dear friend of mine but can't seem to keep myself motivated enough to keep doing it. So, I need some ideas to get motivated again and to keep going.

What do you guys do to keep motivated?

hobo2000 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

I tell myself, if I work on this for 1 hour, I can do anything I want the rest of the evening. Works for me and 1 hour goes quickly.

Kathy N 09-16-2010 04:03 PM

Think forward to the next quilt you want to make...but tell yourself you can't start it until this one is done. Then you will have the incentive to hurry up and get it out of the way

GrammaNan 09-16-2010 04:16 PM

One step at a time. Set your timer for 15 or 30 minutes or an hour. Sew like crazy without any interruptions until the timer goes off. You will be surprised how much you can get done. As you make progress and see how beautiful the quilt is going to be, it will become easier to finish. Think about how happy she will be!

Lady Shivesa 09-16-2010 04:21 PM

I break it down into parts when I really don't want to do it. For instance, I'll say I'll do one block tonight. So I do, then I go take a break. And if I feel the need to do more, I make another block, etc.

I continue the process right on through quilting ("I'll quilt this center area tonight, and the border tomorrow") and binding.

Sadiemae 09-16-2010 04:39 PM

I know a lot of people cannot and do not want to do what I do, but it works for me. If I have something to do that I don't really want to do I work on it at the same time I work on something I want to do. For example, I have a custom quilt that needs finished for one of my sister's co-workers. I have the blocks finished and I just have to put the strips together on point. I sew a strip to it, and then I do a couple strips on some purple bargello placemats that I really want to finish. Then I press and sew another strip to the quilt, then purple bargello strips and so on. I am often asked how I do it without being confused, but I think my house is really quiet and the only noise is the tv or radio so I don't have a problem. Works for me...

leahbug 09-16-2010 06:29 PM

Thanks, I have been inspired to get up and go work on that project that I haven been avoiding all week. The timer is a good suggestion and I will try that one. It is good to know that I am not the only one that get to that point on some of the projects.

AlyssaR 09-16-2010 06:29 PM

Thanks everybody!! I will try all of your ideas and keep adding to the list. I need all the motivation I can get!

franie 09-16-2010 06:30 PM

Break an ankle then miss quilting and sewing so badly! I am in a sarcastic mood--do not recommend it.

tooMuchFabric 09-16-2010 07:11 PM

Think how wonderful it will be when you don't have to mess with the booger any more, and you'll be done with it in no time!!