Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Motivation

Ok I am working on a quilt for a dear friend of mine but can't seem to keep myself motivated enough to keep doing it. So, I need some ideas to get motivated again and to keep going.

What do you guys do to keep motivated?

Blog Entries
    I tell myself, if I work on this for 1 hour, I can do anything I want the rest of the evening. Works for me and 1 hour goes quickly.

Think forward to the next quilt you want to make...but tell yourself you can't start it until this one is done. Then you will have the incentive to hurry up and get it out of the way

One step at a time. Set your timer for 15 or 30 minutes or an hour. Sew like crazy without any interruptions until the timer goes off. You will be surprised how much you can get done. As you make progress and see how beautiful the quilt is going to be, it will become easier to finish. Think about how happy she will be!

I break it down into parts when I really don't want to do it. For instance, I'll say I'll do one block tonight. So I do, then I go take a break. And if I feel the need to do more, I make another block, etc.

I continue the process right on through quilting ("I'll quilt this center area tonight, and the border tomorrow") and binding.

Blog Entries
    I know a lot of people cannot and do not want to do what I do, but it works for me. If I have something to do that I don't really want to do I work on it at the same time I work on something I want to do. For example, I have a custom quilt that needs finished for one of my sister's co-workers. I have the blocks finished and I just have to put the strips together on point. I sew a strip to it, and then I do a couple strips on some purple bargello placemats that I really want to finish. Then I press and sew another strip to the quilt, then purple bargello strips and so on. I am often asked how I do it without being confused, but I think my house is really quiet and the only noise is the tv or radio so I don't have a problem. Works for me...

Blog Entries
    Thanks, I have been inspired to get up and go work on that project that I haven been avoiding all week. The timer is a good suggestion and I will try that one. It is good to know that I am not the only one that get to that point on some of the projects.

Thanks everybody!! I will try all of your ideas and keep adding to the list. I need all the motivation I can get!

Break an ankle then miss quilting and sewing so badly! I am in a sarcastic mood--do not recommend it.

Blog Entries
    Think how wonderful it will be when you don't have to mess with the booger any more, and you'll be done with it in no time!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
    Think how wonderful it will be when you don't have to mess with the booger any more, and you'll be done with it in no time!!
    Too cute!!!

I reward myself with chocolate for each step completed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
    I reward myself with chocolate for each step completed.
    Yeah, lots of choooooooocolate!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Post a picture and all of the wonderful comments from the QB will make you feel like a boob if you don't keep working on it. (A bit of reverse Psychology, lol)

Why don't you want to work on it? Too boring, too tedious, don't really like the color or the pattern? Too many distractions?

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Post a picture and all of the wonderful comments from the QB will make you feel like a boob if you don't keep working on it. (A bit of reverse Psychology, lol)

Why don't you want to work on it? Too boring, too tedious, don't really like the color or the pattern? Too many distractions?
    There are a lot of distractions. My husband has a lot on his plate so I'm trying to help him out and looking for a job. I've also been having problems with my sewing machine so its making it difficult to quilt.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaR
    There are a lot of distractions. My husband has a lot on his plate so I'm trying to help him out and looking for a job. I've also been having problems with my sewing machine so its making it difficult to quilt.

When "life" gets in the way - it is sometimes hard to enjoy the funner things. What is up with your machine?

Oh btw, 2 blocks are heading your way.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Quote Originally Posted by AlyssaR

When "life" gets in the way - it is sometimes hard to enjoy the funner things. What is up with your machine?

Oh btw, 2 blocks are heading your way.

My machine is a simple singer. I got it from a friend when she got a new one so I don't know how much it was used or anything. I think my machine needed cleaning and the bobbin case needed to be tightened. Its running much better now.