Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Movies involving quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/movies-involving-quilting-t185762.html)

thimblebug6000 04-12-2012 08:23 AM

I enjoy watching How to make an American Quilt, it's something even my DD enjoyed.

yngldy 04-12-2012 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter (Post 5134357)
How To Make An American Quilt with Winona Ryder. It came out in 1995. It's a love story and there's some quilting in it.

I was so mad after watching that movie! The film was a beautiful story about quilts and the love put into them when they are being made. Then at the end, they give the quilt to the bride, the couple were in a van in an orange grove, she gets out of the van and runs thru the grove, in the wetness of morning dew, with the quilt dragging in the mud!!

grandy66 04-12-2012 09:45 AM

So Dear To My Heart is a cute movie. They called the quilts kivvers. Not sure of spelling.

gailinva 04-12-2012 02:49 PM

I love this movie!!!!!

Originally Posted by ChaiQuilter (Post 5134357)
How To Make An American Quilt with Winona Ryder. It came out in 1995. It's a love story and there's some quilting in it.

MadQuilter 04-12-2012 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 5135554)
I was so mad after watching that movie! The film was a beautiful story about quilts and the love put into them when they are being made. Then at the end, they give the quilt to the bride, the couple were in a van in an orange grove, she gets out of the van and runs thru the grove, in the wetness of morning dew, with the quilt dragging in the mud!!

Oh that got me spittin mad - that scene. All that red clay mud on that beautiful white applique. Shame on her! But, if we are to assume that it was her gift (as the character in the movie), then she can do with it as she pleases. That's how some quilts become dog blankets.

thimblebug6000 04-12-2012 04:00 PM

Sorry.... the scene where she runs with the quilt wrapped around her...and yes.. it does get soiled...BUT.... it's all in the portrayal of being wrapped in love.... I am happy to see my quilts being loved & even used outdoors if it means the person knows that it was given to them in "love".

leggz48 04-12-2012 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy (Post 5135554)

I agree!!! Anyone who appreciates quilts would have been livid with that final scene......but it was a good story to that point.

stchenfool 04-13-2012 04:02 AM

Ewww, I'm gonna check this one out! Love story and Quilting - the best!

MaryAnnMc 04-13-2012 04:40 AM

So Dear To My Heart looks cute. I'll see if I can find it. And I was ticked at Winona over that quilt scene, too. Especially after I read about how quickly that quilt had to be made in time for filming. The ladies who made it had to really hustle. I can't imagine how they felt when they found out what happened to all their hard work.

Lyncat 04-13-2012 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5135181)
The best movie that is great for family viewing and has lots of quilts is an old Disney one called So Dear To My Heart.
I laughed until I cried at the goat scene. The quilts are called 'quivers' in the movie, slang for 'covers'. It's a great movie and Burl Ives sings Lavender Blue in it. It would be perfect for your quilt group.

I make my students watch that movie every year because I love it!