Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   moving to Rural Alaska (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/moving-rural-alaska-t213563.html)

riutzelj 02-11-2013 08:35 AM

moving to Rural Alaska

Guess, rural Alaska can be an oxymoron, so let me add the qualifier, moving to 110 miles northwest of Bethel, Ak. No roads in, only boat and plane. I don't have enough blankets to take what is left at home, where husband is staying for the next two years.And he says i can't take the Poppy Quilt i bought in Texas or the Wedding Ring i bought here in Oregon. That means no quilts for me :( Guess i'll have to make some quickly. Oh, well, not a lot to do when it is still frozen and you don't own the outdoor play equipment, such as snow machine, snow shoes, skis etc. yet.
Which online stores have the best deals on batting sales and shipping charges? Also does anyone know how the wool battings do for hand quilting?
Some of what i need to go up in my household goods so if i have it already i don't have to pay shipping. Got enough fabric to make a couple of quilts but no batting.

ontheriver 02-11-2013 09:20 AM

Sorry I can't help with what you need, know nothing about Alaska. Just want to wish you luck on your venture. Maybe you can find a way to squeeze in a quilt, I think you will sure need it. You sure are braver than me, I won't go north of the mason-dixon line unless it is summer, hate cold and snow.

quilter2090 02-11-2013 09:31 AM

Fabric.com has free shipping if you spend over $35. Why can't you take your quilts with you when you move?

SouthPStitches 02-11-2013 09:32 AM

Just a thought, if you can't take the quilts because of space constraints, how about compressing them down into Space Bags? Husband and I use these all the time when we head out on a week's motorcycle trip and every square inch counts. As far as mail order goes, you'd be hard pressed to find a better company than Connecting Threads. They have a batting sale going on now and at least once more during the year. Best wishes to you.

Peckish 02-11-2013 09:33 AM

Yes, I'm confused too. Why won't your husband let you take your quilts with you? What does he expect you to do with them? If Alaska isn't the perfect place for quilts, I don't know what is!

knlsmith 02-11-2013 10:27 AM

I can tell you that wool batting is a dream to machine quilt and I've heard handquilters love it, too.

Enjoy your adventure!

hudgoddess 02-11-2013 10:48 AM

I just moved to the mountains of Colorado. I know it's not as rural as where you're going, but it's still over an hour to a fabric store-a huge change for me. Take as many supplies as you can! Buy a scissors sharpener and a rotary blade sharpener and as much thread as you can jam anywhere you can stash it! Hit some estate sales-a great place for thread!

jcrow 02-11-2013 10:58 AM

How come he can just tell you that you can't take those quilts? Did he make them? If I made them, I'd take them. I don't hand quilt but I have a friend who does and loves wool batting. I use only wool batting in my quilts and sleep under only a quilt with wool batting.

Good luck on your new life. I just ordered wool batting from JoAnn's for 40% off. Dang! Wish you would have known about that. What are you going to be doing out in the Boondocks? I hope you get to take your sewing machine and a Kindle!

ktbb 02-11-2013 10:59 AM

not sure where you are not,....oops, just saw that you're in Oregon..., but welcome to Alaska. I live in anchorage and can tell you that we have a very exciting quilting community in the state. Can't speak directly to where you'll be living, but lots of quilt guilds and groups in which to be involved. We're used to having folks in remote locations. Anchorage quilt shops can send out swatches of fabric in stock for folks to "shop" from....stores here are used to shipping to the "bush" which is what we call that part of Alaska that is not on the road system. Regular trips to Anchorage or one of the other cities is normal - so when you get to Anchorage, or kenai/Soldotna, check out our quilting communities. if nothing else - let me know what you need and I'll have it shipped from Anchorage...but I'll be that you'll find a quilter or two at your new location who can give you the ins and outs of Bush quilting.

ktbb 02-11-2013 11:04 AM

guess you're not in Oregon after all - was looking at someone else's post. let me know if you have any questions about living in AK and I'll find someone who can give you an answer.