Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: moving to Rural Alaska

moving to Rural Alaska

Guess, rural Alaska can be an oxymoron, so let me add the qualifier, moving to 110 miles northwest of Bethel, Ak. No roads in, only boat and plane. I don't have enough blankets to take what is left at home, where husband is staying for the next two years.And he says i can't take the Poppy Quilt i bought in Texas or the Wedding Ring i bought here in Oregon. That means no quilts for me Guess i'll have to make some quickly. Oh, well, not a lot to do when it is still frozen and you don't own the outdoor play equipment, such as snow machine, snow shoes, skis etc. yet.
    Which online stores have the best deals on batting sales and shipping charges? Also does anyone know how the wool battings do for hand quilting?
    Some of what i need to go up in my household goods so if i have it already i don't have to pay shipping. Got enough fabric to make a couple of quilts but no batting.

Sorry I can't help with what you need, know nothing about Alaska. Just want to wish you luck on your venture. Maybe you can find a way to squeeze in a quilt, I think you will sure need it. You sure are braver than me, I won't go north of the mason-dixon line unless it is summer, hate cold and snow.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Fabric.com has free shipping if you spend over $35. Why can't you take your quilts with you when you move?

Just a thought, if you can't take the quilts because of space constraints, how about compressing them down into Space Bags? Husband and I use these all the time when we head out on a week's motorcycle trip and every square inch counts. As far as mail order goes, you'd be hard pressed to find a better company than Connecting Threads. They have a batting sale going on now and at least once more during the year. Best wishes to you.

Blog Entries
    Yes, I'm confused too. Why won't your husband let you take your quilts with you? What does he expect you to do with them? If Alaska isn't the perfect place for quilts, I don't know what is!

I can tell you that wool batting is a dream to machine quilt and I've heard handquilters love it, too.

Enjoy your adventure!

I just moved to the mountains of Colorado. I know it's not as rural as where you're going, but it's still over an hour to a fabric store-a huge change for me. Take as many supplies as you can! Buy a scissors sharpener and a rotary blade sharpener and as much thread as you can jam anywhere you can stash it! Hit some estate sales-a great place for thread!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    How come he can just tell you that you can't take those quilts? Did he make them? If I made them, I'd take them. I don't hand quilt but I have a friend who does and loves wool batting. I use only wool batting in my quilts and sleep under only a quilt with wool batting.

Good luck on your new life. I just ordered wool batting from JoAnn's for 40% off. Dang! Wish you would have known about that. What are you going to be doing out in the Boondocks? I hope you get to take your sewing machine and a Kindle!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

not sure where you are not,....oops, just saw that you're in Oregon..., but welcome to Alaska. I live in anchorage and can tell you that we have a very exciting quilting community in the state. Can't speak directly to where you'll be living, but lots of quilt guilds and groups in which to be involved. We're used to having folks in remote locations. Anchorage quilt shops can send out swatches of fabric in stock for folks to "shop" from....stores here are used to shipping to the "bush" which is what we call that part of Alaska that is not on the road system. Regular trips to Anchorage or one of the other cities is normal - so when you get to Anchorage, or kenai/Soldotna, check out our quilting communities. if nothing else - let me know what you need and I'll have it shipped from Anchorage...but I'll be that you'll find a quilter or two at your new location who can give you the ins and outs of Bush quilting.
    Kate

guess you're not in Oregon after all - was looking at someone else's post. let me know if you have any questions about living in AK and I'll find someone who can give you an answer.
    Kate

one more comment regarding Alaska - you'll find to your frustration that the vast majority of on-line shops will not do free shipping to Alaska - some don't ship here at all, but that is slowly changing as folks are beginning to realize that Alaska (and Hawaii) are actually part of the United States. We all have to learn that when we move here, but for the most part, we accept that as part of the cost of living here in the most beautiful state in the country...
    Kate

I'm glad my Husband is firmly rooted in Missouri, the midwest. I love winter and summer if not too hot. I could not take the long nights Alaska has. I have a Granddaughter in law and two Great Granddaughters living in Fairbanks. I hear it is very pretty, but, I will have to take someone's word on that.
    Enjoy your adventure.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Wool batting is fabulous for handquilting!
    Use batting and fabric for packing material; great for filling in corners in boxes or laying on the bottoms or tops of boxes. Thread spools can be wrapped in small fabrics - folded fat quarters - and placed in drinking glasses before they are packed. There lots of ways to get your supplies to where you need to be without making extra weight, or boxes, or effort.

Best of luck to you on this Alaskan adventure; I admire you, but honestly can't say that I envy you!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Try checking out www.missouriquiltco.com

$5 shipping for any order. Free shipping on orders over $100.00

Jenny has a ton o wonderful FREE tuturials on YouTube. I've made so many quilts from her tutes. They also sell fabric by the yard, accessories, charms, jelly rolls, honey buns, fat quarter bundles, etc.

We were in Alaska 2 years ago on a 2 week cruise. Did my research ahead of time and knew where the quilt shops were in almost every post. Bought something from every shop and hope to put together some awesome quilts soon. The night light Aurora fabrics are awesome. I loved all of the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
    Guess, rural Alaska can be an oxymoron, so let me add the qualifier, moving to 110 miles northwest of Bethel, Ak. No roads in, only boat and plane. I don't have enough blankets to take what is left at home, where husband is staying for the next two years.And he says i can't take the Poppy Quilt i bought in Texas or the Wedding Ring i bought here in Oregon. That means no quilts for me Guess i'll have to make some quickly. Oh, well, not a lot to do when it is still frozen and you don't own the outdoor play equipment, such as snow machine, snow shoes, skis etc. yet.
    Which online stores have the best deals on batting sales and shipping charges? Also does anyone know how the wool battings do for hand quilting?
    Some of what i need to go up in my household goods so if i have it already i don't have to pay shipping. Got enough fabric to make a couple of quilts but no batting.
    Definitely get MORE supplies to be shipped with your household stuff! Shipping once you get there will be outrageous! My DH is from AK and his whole family is up there--but not that far up! --his Dad, sis, and brother are in the Talkeetna area and sis is in the Palmer area.

Now I want to know "Does your husband know what you all are in for?" What small community are your going to be calling home for the next couple of years? All I can say is that the money better be worth it. Unless housing, fuel are included in payment it's going to cost you a small fortune. Take it from someone who lived in Alaska for over 54 years. I wouldn't have a comment if you were on a road system somewhere, but out in the boonies with only plane or boat (in the summer) all I can say is good luck.
    And YES most online retailers think Alaska is another country.

I do envy you your new adventure - we have been twice to Alaska for summers and would like to try a winter there sometime. There are some of the most amazing quilt shops in Alaska - so there must be lots of quilters there and I found prices comparable to the lower 48. Enjoy your adventure and let us know how you make out!

I just got a king size batting from Connecting Threads in Warm and Natural for $24.99. JoAnnes has it for that some times too. Make sure you keep us up on your travels....what an adventure!!

This may be a silly question, but why on earth would you move to Alaska when you're husband is staying out - wherever - for 2 years?? And not let you take your quilts??

Wool batting is excellent for hand quilting.

Connecting Threads has Hobbs on sale thru this week. Spend 50 free shipping, not sure about Alaska though.

Blog Entries
    Oh! My DD had a contract job in Bethel for three months. She said it was like living in a third world country. The pumped water stained every piece of clothing she had. She used bottled water for cooking and hygiene and just wore the stained clothes. She said everyone had the same stained clothes so it didn't matter. I certainly wouldn't wash a quilt in it. Mildew started growing on the walls when the weather turned warmer and condensation started. She couldn't wait to get out of that place. I don't know why you are stuck going more primitive then Bethel but good luck.
    Last edited by BellaBoo; 02-12-2013 at 06:04 AM.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Best of luck. We lived off the grid for 7 years in the foothills of the Rockies in Montana. It takes a very different mind-set to live that way. Your whole daily routine will be changed. Enjoy the experience.

How I envy you!!! My daughter and son-in-law lived in Alaska and we visited and did not want to come home. So beautiful! We had to fly in too. I remember Skagway having a great quilt shop and of course Juneau too. Don't know about ordering but I'm sure there are locals who can give you help. Please keep us informed on your adventure. Just a couple questions if you care to share...are you teaching or working with the national parks?

from the other comments, I would go to thrift shops and buy used blankets or quilts or bedspreads If everything is going to get stained from the water. I can see why your husband doesn't want you to take your nice things. Even used sleeping bags would provide cover and warmth.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast