Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: moving to Rural Alaska

I'm somewhat envious and am one of those who think you are going to have A Great Adventure! Sounds like you are a spunky girl! :-)
    Laura

I'm sure the company/clinic has advised you on everything you need to bring. I have a good friend who has had to move to the Dallas/Ft Worth area for medical treatment that wasn't available in Alaska. He lived there over 25 years and has such wonderful stories. One of my favorite ones was his shooting a grizzly on his front porch trying to crawl through a window into his living room. He said the bear tasted wonderful as it had been feeding mostly on berries.
    After a few years his wife divorced him so she could move to the lower states. I guess not everyone likes Alaska.
    After talking to him I would suggest you take a gun sufficient to kill a bear with, not just one for birds, although a town of 700 people ought to have someone else to take care of large animals in town - but I would personally want
    to have my own and lots of ammo. And when you leave you can probably sell it if you want to.

The only way I'll drop 10 pounds is to go shopping in England. - Maxine-

I have visited Alaska - my in-laws moved there about 25 years ago - they live on an island and you must boat or fly in - the weather doesn't always cooperate so sometimes shipments can take a while. Everyone has told you about the shipping - Alaska usually cost more and when it says "Free Shipping" that usually doesn't include Alaska or Hawaii. My sister-in-law lived in Fairbanks for years - the most necessary item for those long winters is a light therapy lamp - I am sure you know about those - they can greatly improve your mood and help with those long winter months. The rest you will learn as you go along - there are many natives that will help you along - Good luck and enjoy your time in Alaska.

What is the name of the place you are moving to? I live in Juneau, Alaska and agree with the lady from Anchorage. There are ways to be able to quilt and meet other quilters. It would be fun to hear of your adventures in your new town or village.

Wait until he freezes his ars off and then he will want those quilts.
    Syl

It does sound like a great adventure. I hope you'll be able to keep us posted along the way. I'm pretty much of a homebody who likes living uncomfortable and possibly risky adventures vicariously! As suggested earlier, a warm sleeping bag seems vital. Why not stuff it full of quilting supplies for the trip? Have a wonderful time! I hope you'll enjoy it immensely.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

I enjoyed reading about your new journey/adventure. It sounds like you have a lot of skills that will come in handy up there and you seem excited and ready to go. Good luck to you and if you do have internet access, post here so we can keep up with you.
    jean

It was most enjoyable to read about your adventure. Your DH wants to keep things that remind him of you. That's marvelous. What do you plan to take to remind you of him? For 35 years, we've lived a-ways from "town". We always have "plan B" for times of no electricity, plenty of supplies on hand during snow conditions. Trips to town are kept to a minimum, especially with gas prices. We've adjusted to this situation, because we like where we live. Sounds like you're looking forward to the adventure, and adaptable to the challenges. Have fun!

I live in Kenai, AK--3 hours south of Anchorage. My son lives in Bethel. My Viking dealer visits Bethel for classes. I don't know if they have a fabric shop but she says there are a lot of quilters out there. I do not know where they buy their fabrics. I do know that a lady who lived about an hour drive from me used to own a fabric store and she lives in Bethel now. Hope you can meet up with some of these folks. Good luck with your move.

I think it's a great adventure that you are about to set out on and only wish I had half the courage to take that first step. There is a show called Air Alaska that my hubby and I watch whenever we can. The show is based in Unakleet but they fly all over rural Alaska including Bethel. You might be able to get some glimpses of where you will be if you can watch a few episodes.

I think what you are doing to help the kids up there is awesome. On the show they had to transport a casket of a young man who had committed sucided then went to say that 1 in 4 of their children will attempt and follow thru with suicide. That made me cry. If you have internet up there and find you need some quilts sent shoot me a PM I would be happy to send you one or two to help out your new community.

Tell the Tweeto's they have watchers in Houston :-)

Good Luck on your Adventure
    Tammy

I see many posts here referring to Alaska as 'AK'....the O.C.D. in me has to make a correction here. The abbreviation for Alaska is 'AL'......I am very excited for you - this sounds like an amazing opportunity. Please keep us up to date on your experiences there!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
    Guess, rural Alaska can be an oxymoron, so let me add the qualifier, moving to 110 miles northwest of Bethel, Ak. No roads in, only boat and plane. I don't have enough blankets to take what is left at home, where husband is staying for the next two years.And he says i can't take the Poppy Quilt i bought in Texas or the Wedding Ring i bought here in Oregon. That means no quilts for me Guess i'll have to make some quickly. Oh, well, not a lot to do when it is still frozen and you don't own the outdoor play equipment, such as snow machine, snow shoes, skis etc. yet.
    Which online stores have the best deals on batting sales and shipping charges? Also does anyone know how the wool battings do for hand quilting?
    Some of what i need to go up in my household goods so if i have it already i don't have to pay shipping. Got enough fabric to make a couple of quilts but no batting.
    I am guessing that wool batting would let a needle slide like butter. Wool cloth is so nice to sew with; remember it is a natural fibre like silk and cotton.

If you ask me, you are one of the bravest souls alive! I hope you are used to cold weather and being isolated for weeks or months at a time. I lived in Winnipeg, Canada for a while and that was city. I have no idea how I might feel w-a-y out in the boon docks when snow is up to your rooftops. You'll learn to shop in bulk and keep firewood handy.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaHen View Post
    Now I want to know "Does your husband know what you all are in for?" What small community are your going to be calling home for the next couple of years? All I can say is that the money better be worth it. Unless housing, fuel are included in payment it's going to cost you a small fortune. Take it from someone who lived in Alaska for over 54 years. I wouldn't have a comment if you were on a road system somewhere, but out in the boonies with only plane or boat (in the summer) all I can say is good luck.
    And YES most online retailers think Alaska is another country.
    MamaHen,
    I feel like you do about being prepared for the shock. I hope the money is worth the shift from civilization to no-man's-land. BTW, just one more downer--have you checked out medical facilities or prices of doctor's visits? A friend of ours who lives there says he has good insurance through an oil company, but there have been doctors who refused to treat him because of his age. The first visit for any doctor will be no less than $450, and at least $250 after than if you have to do follow-up. If you are on Medicare, forget seeing a doctor anywhere in AL. They do not take Medicare patients at all.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

Will you have computer access at your new home? If so, at least you can stay in contact with the world. I take it you will limited on you items that are shipped for your use in Alaska. Take items that can have multi uses, that is what we did when my husband was in the Air Force and we were shipped to the island of Guam in the 1970's. I did take a small sewing machine for the time, and it got used quiet a bit. I also took fabric since it was cheaper in the states. Good luck, and keep in touch with us.

My daughter lives in that area, Napaskiak. He is site co-ordinator (principle) and she teaches at the school. They went first to Toksook Bay, then to Napaskiak. They have lots of "fun" stories to tell. Spend their summers down here. Can't wait till they come down permanently. Good luck on your venture!

I have dealt with Willow Bend Creations at Soldotna AK and think you could get supplies from them. By the way, Willow Bend Creations is having a free Webinar about lower back pain, put on by a licensed physical therapist. 8PM eastern time. Sign in a little early and get some good information.

Use fabric as packing instead of paper. I packed all my dishes and glassware that way the last time we moved.

suzyquilter

Quote Originally Posted by riutzelj View Post
    Guess, rural Alaska can be an oxymoron, so let me add the qualifier, moving to 110 miles northwest of Bethel, Ak. No roads in, only boat and plane. I don't have enough blankets to take what is left at home, where husband is staying for the next two years.And he says i can't take the Poppy Quilt i bought in Texas or the Wedding Ring i bought here in Oregon. That means no quilts for me Guess i'll have to make some quickly. Oh, well, not a lot to do when it is still frozen and you don't own the outdoor play equipment, such as snow machine, snow shoes, skis etc. yet.
    Which online stores have the best deals on batting sales and shipping charges? Also does anyone know how the wool battings do for hand quilting?
    Some of what i need to go up in my household goods so if i have it already i don't have to pay shipping. Got enough fabric to make a couple of quilts but no batting.
    I don't hand quilt so I can't help you there, but I have machine quilted with wool, and it quilted like BUTTER! Good luck. ps. wool is definitely the way to go.

I do hand quilting and the wool batting is a dream to hand quilt.
    quilting fanatic

Forgot to tell you about buttons. The beautiful quilts, robes, etc. I saw in Alaska were made with applique and many, many buttons. Looked like the old time pearl ones from shells and the designs were raven, totems, and often times red and black. I'll try to upload photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
    I see many posts here referring to Alaska as 'AK'....the O.C.D. in me has to make a correction here. The abbreviation for Alaska is 'AL'......I am very excited for you - this sounds like an amazing opportunity. Please keep us up to date on your experiences there!!
    You are mistaken it is AK not AL.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place. We are nearing closer to the End Times.

[QUOTE=Debbie C;5858261]I see many posts here referring to Alaska as 'AK'....the O.C.D. in me has to make a correction here. The abbreviation for Alaska is 'AL'......I am very excited for you - this sounds like an amazing opportunity. Please keep us up to date on your experiences there!![/QUO
    You are so wrong--Alaska is AK--those of us who live in Alaska should know---AL is Alabama. Before you correct others you should get your facts straight.

I recently finished a book, "Alaska Bound: One man's dream...One woman's nightmare" by Tammy Jones. It is a true story about the author's trials when her DH talked her into going to AK in March to build a cabin. It was a free Kindle download at the time.
    Good luck on your adventure. Let us hear from you and please send pictures when you can.

Nancy's Notions have times--like right now when they offer free shipping. I take advantage of that.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    Oh! My DD had a contract job in Bethel for three months. She said it was like living in a third world country. The pumped water stained every piece of clothing she had. She used bottled water for cooking and hygiene and just wore the stained clothes. She said everyone had the same stained clothes so it didn't matter. I certainly wouldn't wash a quilt in it. Mildew started growing on the walls when the weather turned warmer and condensation started. She couldn't wait to get out of that place. I don't know why you are stuck going more primitive then Bethel but good luck.
    My son and his wife live in Bethel. There are some very nice restaurants there. Think they even have some fast food places. They have never complained about the water and their clothes aren't stained. There is a large group of quilters there and they have made many friends.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast