Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Murphy's Quilting Laws (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/murphys-quilting-laws-t198416.html)

Knitette 08-23-2012 11:58 AM

Having spent ages drawing several intricate shapes for your appliqué masterpiece, you iron them on to the right side of the fabric.

burchquilts 08-23-2012 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by SuzyQ (Post 5461124)
just as soon as you get in a good sewing rhythm ... the dog MUST go outside RIGHT NOW

Gee, do you live in my house? It's like Leo has been conditioned like Pavlov's dogs. He hears the sewing machine & it triggers "I need to go pee pee RIGHT NOW"... LOL!

MadQuilter 08-23-2012 12:01 PM

If you insist that the sewing order of the rows be a certain way and you make sure to line up the rows in order, Murphy makes sure that somewhere the rows will get out of order and you will not notice it until you are done.

burchquilts 08-23-2012 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5461176)
You've been chain sewing forever and it dawns on you that the bottom pieces are wrong side up. Ughhhh!!!

You;ve been chain pieceing forever & you notice that your bobbin ran out about 7354 pieces ago!

burchquilts 08-23-2012 12:04 PM

As you're handing a quilted gift to someone, you notice a HUGE, GLARING mistake right in the middle of it that you didn't even see till that very instant (yes, it's happened to me... I handquilted it & still didn't even notice I had a block turned around)!

You're in a hurry to finish a gift. You go to clip a spare thread & you cut a hole in the quilt top (yes, I've done that one, too. Luckily it was a flower quilt so I just appliqued a butterfly over the hole, but still...).

Sometimes I think my last name is "Murphy"!!!

burchquilts 08-23-2012 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5462320)
This isn't murphy but it's similiar-the power goes out and you decide that since nothing is working you might as well go sew for awhile until you remember that your machine needs electricity also.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Last time the lights went out, I thought, "Well, I'll just turn on a lamp till the electricity comes back on" (since the overhead light was out). D-U-H! I've also tried to turn on a light to find the flashlight in the dark!

Prettiptibbs 08-23-2012 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter (Post 5462320)
This isn't murphy but it's similiar-the power goes out and you decide that since nothing is working you might as well go sew for awhile until you remember that your machine needs electricity also.

And the lights don't work either!

Grandma Peg 08-23-2012 12:28 PM

Working with white on white fabric never saw that I had one of the borders sewn on the wrong side, not when I sewed it on, pressed it, pinned the three layers together, quilted it by crosshatching until I was sewing the binding on by the machine on the front side.

stormwater 08-23-2012 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5461235)
I have pinned and pinned to match my seams on sewing 2 long rows together, removing the pins as I sew, only to find when I get to the end my bobbin has run out of thread way back at the start!!

ABSOLUTELY my favorite!

ptquilts 08-23-2012 01:45 PM

As you sew, so shall you rip.

The seam that you NEED to take out is the one with the tightest stitching.