Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   muslin is there a trick to it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/muslin-there-trick-t20320.html)

cybercat 05-19-2009 02:57 PM

Ok I am getting very fustrated here. I cut a piece of muslin and hand washed it then machine dried it. I tried to iron out the wrinkles but no luck. It is more wrinkled now than before I washed it. What is the trick to getting those small wrinkles out of muslin? This is white muslin light wieght.

sewjoyce 05-19-2009 03:01 PM

I use a hot steam iron and sometimes a little starch. It also helps if you
don't dry it all the way and then iron while still damp.

Minda 05-19-2009 03:17 PM

I use a steam iron and also spray with water. I always keep a spray bottle of water at my ironing board.

mimisharon 05-19-2009 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Minda
I use a steam iron and also spray with water. I always keep a spray bottle of water at my ironing board.

me, too, and my steam iron is always as hot as I can get it. Spray starch really helps to hold the ironed tone of it.

Ninnie 05-19-2009 04:52 PM

I use muslin in all my quilts, love the old fashioned look! I wash it, dry on low, and starch and steam iron it! It quilts beautifully, and I love the old fashioned look of it, right up my ally! :D

Ninnie

SaraSewing 05-19-2009 05:00 PM

Here's a question that I don't understand. If you have to put so much work into getting muslin ready to use, why use it at all. Wouldn't it be better to find a quilting cotton that takes less work to get it prepped? To me, that would take lots of the fun out. Help me understand.

thimblebug6000 05-19-2009 05:03 PM

Remember muslin comes in many different weights & qualities...a quilting quality muslin wouldn't take alot of steaming to "get into shape" JMHO

Ninnie 05-19-2009 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by saravincent
Here's a question that I don't understand. If you have to put so much work into getting muslin ready to use, why use it at all. Wouldn't it be better to find a quilting cotton that takes less work to get it prepped? To me, that would take lots of the fun out. Help me understand.

I use it because I am an old fashioned quilter, and it was used a lot back when! Also I buy it by the bolt, 90" wide, and no seams in my backing most of the time. It also comes 108" wide! It has a feel that you can't get from any other material! Can't explain it , just the feel that I love to hand quilt! :D

Ninnie

thimblebug6000 05-19-2009 05:17 PM

Ninnie...if you go to some place like Joann's you will definitely notice a different "feel"....the old time muslins were so nice & soft....lately the "less expensive" versions are so harsh.........

Ninnie 05-19-2009 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
Ninnie...if you go to some place like Joann's you will definitely notice a different "feel"....the old time muslins were so nice & soft....lately the "less expensive" versions are so harsh.........

I am so lucky, in that a friend of mine owns a curtain shop, she makes curtains for a living, and she orders my muslin for me by the bolt
I haven't bought muslin from a store for years. I get it bleached and unbleached, and I like the unbleached better!

I wonder why it has changed so much?

It's not an expensive material, and I use a lot of it Not too many of us quilters still use it on the backs of our quilts! Next time I am in a store , I'll check it out! Thanks for giving me the heads up! :D

Ninnie