Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: muslin is there a trick to it?

Ok I am getting very fustrated here. I cut a piece of muslin and hand washed it then machine dried it. I tried to iron out the wrinkles but no luck. It is more wrinkled now than before I washed it. What is the trick to getting those small wrinkles out of muslin? This is white muslin light wieght.

I use a hot steam iron and sometimes a little starch. It also helps if you
    don't dry it all the way and then iron while still damp.

I use a steam iron and also spray with water. I always keep a spray bottle of water at my ironing board.

Quote Originally Posted by Minda
    I use a steam iron and also spray with water. I always keep a spray bottle of water at my ironing board.
    me, too, and my steam iron is always as hot as I can get it. Spray starch really helps to hold the ironed tone of it.

I use muslin in all my quilts, love the old fashioned look! I wash it, dry on low, and starch and steam iron it! It quilts beautifully, and I love the old fashioned look of it, right up my ally! :D

Ninnie

Here's a question that I don't understand. If you have to put so much work into getting muslin ready to use, why use it at all. Wouldn't it be better to find a quilting cotton that takes less work to get it prepped? To me, that would take lots of the fun out. Help me understand.

Remember muslin comes in many different weights & qualities...a quilting quality muslin wouldn't take alot of steaming to "get into shape" JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by saravincent
    Here's a question that I don't understand. If you have to put so much work into getting muslin ready to use, why use it at all. Wouldn't it be better to find a quilting cotton that takes less work to get it prepped? To me, that would take lots of the fun out. Help me understand.

I use it because I am an old fashioned quilter, and it was used a lot back when! Also I buy it by the bolt, 90" wide, and no seams in my backing most of the time. It also comes 108" wide! It has a feel that you can't get from any other material! Can't explain it , just the feel that I love to hand quilt! :D

Ninnie

Ninnie...if you go to some place like Joann's you will definitely notice a different "feel"....the old time muslins were so nice & soft....lately the "less expensive" versions are so harsh.........

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Ninnie...if you go to some place like Joann's you will definitely notice a different "feel"....the old time muslins were so nice & soft....lately the "less expensive" versions are so harsh.........

I am so lucky, in that a friend of mine owns a curtain shop, she makes curtains for a living, and she orders my muslin for me by the bolt
    I haven't bought muslin from a store for years. I get it bleached and unbleached, and I like the unbleached better!

I wonder why it has changed so much?

It's not an expensive material, and I use a lot of it Not too many of us quilters still use it on the backs of our quilts! Next time I am in a store , I'll check it out! Thanks for giving me the heads up! :D

Ninnie

just look what i made today - just don't look too close, my thingies don't match up but the newborn baby boy i made it for won't notice it a bit, and I bet neither will his Mother.

baby quilt
    Name:  Attachment-35750.jpe
Views: 10
Size:  39.2 KB

Oh that is cute, dojo!
    The thing about muslin is there is many grades of it. You have to buy the good stuff or it will shrivel up and look like a prune.

oh crap, dumb me, i just noticed that i forgot to put the crosswise sashing strips - just put the vertical ones, did anybody else notice that? i just now noticed it when i posted the pic, dang it.

Blog Entries
    dojo...don't worry about it...that was a design decision on your part, right??? It looks really cute just as is and the baby nor his mom will notice that either! :lol:

Nice quilt Dojo.

Well, getting that swatch wet then ironing worked. I was sprinkling it with water but I guess it just wanted another bath. :D

Tomorrrow I cut that last piece then put together the square to see if my idea works. If it does I wll be a cutting manic for a bit since I have 210 squares to make for this quilt. But it will be worth it once it is done and I can sleep warm this winter. i will post if it work or not with a pick.

I love muslin to, just something about it. Love to sash with it or do the backing.
    I have a spray bottle by my iron for hard to get out wrinkles. Its the only way to get that fold line out of material that has been on the bolt. Spray the heck out of it.

simple quilter

I use muslin alot for backings, it is soooo soft! I bought a bolt, washed it and re-rolled so it's ready to go whenever I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    oh crap, dumb me, i just noticed that i forgot to put the crosswise sashing strips - just put the vertical ones, did anybody else notice that? i just now noticed it when i posted the pic, dang it.
    I think it's cute!
    It's supposed to have crosswise strips? Hmmm.......I like it as is!

well thanks Terri, I think i'll just leave it as is. too much trouble to fix it. it's for somebody that doesn't know anything about quilting anyhow.

I think it's precious! Don't change a thing :-)

I get muslin at Joanns There are many kinds. I get the one that has been pre shrunk and wrinkle free, or almost. You also can get it bleached. :D

I don't like to mess with light-weight muslin, life is too short! I buy Moda from Hancocks/Paducah by the bolt, white and natural. It is beautiful stuff.

Power Poster
    I

If you'd kept quiet about it, we'd have thought that's the way you meant to do it. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I

If you'd kept quiet about it, we'd have thought that's the way you meant to do it. :-)
    I thought the same thing but didn't say it............ :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    I recently found Kona muslin and I'll never go back to the other kind. This stuff is the real deal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast