Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Is there a trick to getting rid of Phlem?

  1. #1
    Member hexagonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ashland, WI
    Posts
    98
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks to everyone that posted about the Vics on the bottoms of feet to get rid of a cough. My daughter used it perfectly til the cough left. Now she has the phlem and once a day throws up just the phlem. Any home solutions to this weird problem?
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Super Member sewjoyce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    9,664
    Get her drinking LOTS of water -- this will thin the mucous out....I have a problem with my vocal cords and if I don't drink enough water (no caffeine) I cough & hack and carry on something terrible. I use an old water bottle and the individual servings of Hawaiian Punch Sugar Free....have her drink 2-3 of these per day and see if it helps :D

  3. #3
    Power Poster amma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Out searching for some sunshine :-)
    Posts
    59,092
    Blog Entries
    1
    try an expectorant, it will help loosen the mucus and make coughing it up easier :D:D:D

  4. #4
    Super Member UglyCook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Auburn, WA
    Posts
    1,381
    I once had a teacher tell me that it has to come out somewhere, so choose your mouth or your nose!

    Get her to blow every time she starts coughing and it will clear up quickly. We've been doing this for the past 15 years and no one in our house ever has a nagging cough.

  5. #5
    Power Poster erstan947's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    12,168
    Blog Entries
    47
    Hot tea, honey and lemon.

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New York City/Manhattan
    Posts
    1,324
    if you want herbal medicine, in the old tradition, use mullein, goldenrod, coltsfoot to help loosen the phlegm. It's best in hot water, as is any phlegm-loosening remedy. PM if you want more info

  7. #7
    Super Member oatw13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,748
    The best thing I have found so far to get rid of phlegm is Mucinex. It is pricey, but it works! Walmart has a store brand but it just doesn't work as well.

    Drink lots of liquids, including warm liquids, clear soups, and cut back on phlegm-causing foods, like dairy.

    Best of luck.

  8. #8
    Super Member sunflower126's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,792
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    The best thing I have found so far to get rid of phlegm is Mucinex. It is pricey, but it works! Walmart has a store brand but it just doesn't work as well.

    Drink lots of liquids, including warm liquids, clear soups, and cut back on phlegm-causing foods, like dairy.

    Best of luck.
    Mucinex is the best. I keep a box in my medicine cabinet all of the time. When I feel it starting I take one and it is usually gone in a day or so. I buy mine at Sam's Club. I am sure that other membership stores will carry it too.

  9. #9
    Member hexagonquilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ashland, WI
    Posts
    98
    Blog Entries
    1
    She cannot take meds. she has a bad heart. So that is why the request for home solutions.
    Thanks for all the great ideas.

  10. #10
    Super Member Rosyhf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Longwood, Florida
    Posts
    2,894
    The phlem must come out. drink a tablespoon of cider venigar in a half glass of water to help it.

  11. #11
    Super Member kwhite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    North East USA
    Posts
    5,048
    i just saw on the TV in the last couple of days to take a turnup and cut off the top and hollow out a "cup" in the center. Fill it with brown sugar and let it sit for a few hours. the sugar will turn to a syrup and that is supposed to take care of this. leave it no more then 24 hours on the counter and then put the syrup in the fridge.

  12. #12
    Power Poster nativetexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    home again, after 27 yrs!
    Posts
    15,792
    Blog Entries
    2
    yep, Mucinex DM is what my Dr told me to use. worked great!!!

  13. #13
    Super Member irishrose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cadillac, MI
    Posts
    6,582
    Blog Entries
    19
    When I had pneumonia, the only thing that helped was onions and honey. I lightly steamed my onions (I think the old recipe was for raw), let them cool and added raw honey. It was wonderful with getting rid of junk and the cough. Processed honey might be okay, too.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    851
    Baking soda. 1/4 tsp in a glass of water. Effective immediately. It used to actually say this on the baking soda box wayyyyyyyy back when...before the pharma company came out with all those expensive cough remedies.
    But seriously try it just once and you will know that it works right away

  15. #15
    Super Member Bill'sBonBon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee, Florida
    Posts
    1,070
    Sometimes it is caused by post nasal drip... you can Irrigate Your nostrils with 1/4 salt without iodine... in a 6 oz glass of warm water... you can buy the new thing for abt. $20.00 at Walmarts petti pot I think it is called or you can use, I do, the bulb syring for cleaning ears or a baby's nose. This does work my ENT is the one told me i needed to do this. You can buy the saline already made up also. Just cheaper to buy noniodinize salt and tap water. Believe me you will be suprized at what comes out sometimes
    :shock: :lol: :lol: BillsBonBon

  16. #16
    Super Member Quilter7x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    north east
    Posts
    8,531
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    Sometimes it is caused by post nasal drip... you can Irrigate Your nostrils with 1/4 salt without iodine... in a 6 oz glass of warm water... you can buy the new thing for abt. $20.00 at Walmarts petti pot I think it is called or you can use, I do, the bulb syring for cleaning ears or a baby's nose. This does work my ENT is the one told me i needed to do this. You can buy the saline already made up also. Just cheaper to buy noniodinize salt and tap water. Believe me you will be suprized at what comes out sometimes
    :shock: :lol: :lol: BillsBonBon
    It's a Neti Pot and it absolutely works for getting rid of stuff in the back of your nose. Here's a link: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...tial%26Nr%3DOR{92%2COR{93}%2COR{90}%2COR{122}}%26searchType%3Dse archHome&x=0&y=0 I use the CVS brand for refills. Also, dairy products create phlegm, so staying away from dairy products (and chocolate) until she gets better will also help. Good luck!

  17. #17
    Senior Member jtquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    So, Idaho
    Posts
    646
    Blog Entries
    1
    I like to use lemon juice in water.

  18. #18
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,913
    If at all possible, try to get as "upside down" as you can. Maybe just lie on the bed with head and chest hanging over the end or side. Get gravity on your side.

  19. #19
    Super Member Bill'sBonBon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Okeechobee, Florida
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilter7x
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill'sBonBon
    Sometimes it is caused by post nasal drip... you can Irrigate Your nostrils with 1/4 salt without iodine... in a 6 oz glass of warm water... you can buy the new thing for abt. $20.00 at Walmarts petti pot I think it is called or you can use, I do, the bulb syring for cleaning ears or a baby's nose. This does work my ENT is the one told me i needed to do this. You can buy the saline already made up also. Just cheaper to buy noniodinize salt and tap water. Believe me you will be suprized at what comes out sometimes
    :shock: :lol: :lol: BillsBonBon
    It's a Neti Pot and it absolutely works for getting rid of stuff in the back of your nose. Here's a link: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/search/sea...tial%26Nr%3DOR{92%2COR{93}%2COR{90}%2COR{122}}%26searchType%3Dse archHome&x=0&y=0 I use the CVS brand for refills. Also, dairy products create phlegm, so staying away from dairy products (and chocolate) until she gets better will also help. Good luck!
    OH MY "Gosh :oops: :oops: Well :lol: :lol: I was close anyways Neti instead of petti :lol:

  20. #20
    Senior Member BRenea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seguin, TX
    Posts
    560
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by sunflower126
    Quote Originally Posted by oatw13
    The best thing I have found so far to get rid of phlegm is Mucinex. It is pricey, but it works! Walmart has a store brand but it just doesn't work as well.

    Drink lots of liquids, including warm liquids, clear soups, and cut back on phlegm-causing foods, like dairy.

    Best of luck.
    Mucinex is the best. I keep a box in my medicine cabinet all of the time. When I feel it starting I take one and it is usually gone in a day or so. I buy mine at Sam's Club. I am sure that other membership stores will carry it too.
    Mucinex is absolutely the best! We always keep some on hand...it is expensive, but so worth it!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.