Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Must haves for newbie quilter (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/must-haves-newbie-quilter-t203438.html)

Caswews 10-18-2012 05:45 PM

Well each of us are different in "necessities for quilting" A good rotary cutter, pins,lots of machine needles and a couple of rulers and welcome to the board

anniehug 10-19-2012 08:32 AM

Welcome to the board - I joined last year and find it amazingly helpful. I've been quilting for over 10 years but I've learned lots of new stuff here:every member seems so eager to help. As for your basics to start just a mat, rotary cutter and ruler (6 x 24) to begin with. As you progress you will soon realise what extras you need. One member mentions Missouri Star - this is a fabulous site with free tutorials. If I can help any further, please PM me. I wish you joy in your new venture. Anne (from the north)

Sierra 10-19-2012 08:45 AM

The most important thing is the realization that quilting does not have to be a "perfect" activity. I was so scared when I started, fearing I would make a mistake, that almost nothing got done. Start with baby quilts... they are small and if you make a "terrible" mistake it will be small :o. There are always places that will take baby quilts. Start small, your needs will become apparent, but mat and rotary cutter and 6x24" rule (with a plastic hand saver you can put on it) are basic, along with long bladed scissors and short sharp bladed snippers. Happy trails!!!! Dive in!

Oh, and if you can afford it, a sewing machine! Preferably with a big throat so you can quilt your own.

jlwheart 10-19-2012 10:59 AM

My favorite tool besides my machine is my seam ripper. I've got several as I am pretty picky. I found the white round handled Clover works the best for me. As I was learning, I signed up for coupons for my local store and each time I got a 40% off on a notion coupon, I'd add one more quilting item. A good and cheap way to get supplies. Don't forget, yard and garage sales are also good places to find notions, etc. Good luck and welcome to a great quilting resource. This board has it all!

Debbie C 10-19-2012 06:37 PM

First of all, Welcome to QB, Little Bear!! This is your new addiction!! I really can't add to the list of basics, but I do want to say one thing. BE CAREFUL with your rotary cutter!!!
We all look forward to helping you along on your journey to becoming a quilter - we're here to answer any and all questions. You are certainly in excellent company as the men and women of Quiltingboard are THE BEST!!!

Littlebearquiltingboard 10-20-2012 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by Debbie C (Post 5598151)
the men and women of Quiltingboard are THE BEST!!!

Debbie, I totally agree. In my short time as a member I have been overwhelmed by the warm welcome I have received and the wonderful advice I have been given. I am so glad I joined the Quilting Board.

Thank you everyone.

greenini 10-20-2012 12:38 PM

Welcome aboard. I find I also use a long measuring tape, 120 inches here, a lot since I buy a lot of material from thrift stores etc. Plus it helps to get a rough idea of the size of your tops if your kind of careless as I am about individual block size.

Good thread is also a help especially if you have a fussy sewing machine.

Thin long flower headed pins are pretty useful and not too expensive and you can write on the flower heads to number rows or do directions. Fons & Porter did some very expensive pins with R, L, U, D and really you could write all that on the flower pins heads.

I like topstitching machine needles for quilting.

Can't think of too much else that hasn't already been mentioned.

purplefiend 10-20-2012 02:27 PM

Hi Littlebear,
My suggestions for a new quilter is to buy the best tools and fabrics you can afford. Don't be afraid to try something new. The sewing machine needles that work best for cotton fabrics are a 80/12 sharp, Schmetz,Klasse, and Organ are good brands.
Most of all have fun and don't be too hard on yourself. Take a beginner quilting class if its available. "Quilters Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter is a great book for a beginner.
Welcome to the group.
Sharon