Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves for newbie quilter >

Must haves for newbie quilter

Must haves for newbie quilter

Old 10-17-2012, 04:41 AM

Default Must haves for newbie quilter

Hello,

I am new to the forum and also a beginner to the craft of quilting.

I would love to hear your ideas about the quilting equipment you wouldn't be without.

I already have my sewing machine but know I need more equipment but am feeling out at sea with the choice of quilting accessories available.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:54 AM

I couldn't live without my rotaray cutters, rulers, and glue stick, but then all you really need is just your imagination and to enjoy what you are doing and remember that the only person you have to please is YOU! I'm sending you all my best wishes for a long life of peicing and stitching,Mawluv
Old 10-17-2012, 04:55 AM

Rotary cutter, rulers, mat. Basting spray (love the 505 brand), quilting gloves (I prefer Machingers - lighter weight, better fitting). Scissors, Seam Ripper. Those are my basics. As far as rulers go, you can get 1-2 to start, then add as you need them. Depending on what you plan to make, probably the most practical are rectangle 6x18 or 6x24, and 12-1/2 square.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:57 AM

Rotary cutter and mat, good scissors, seam ripper and rulers. My favorite rulers are 4X24, 6X24, 12" and 6" and the June Taylor Shape Cut ruler for cutting accurate strips.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:08 AM

Start with a few basics. Everyone has preferences, but until you get started, how do you know what fits your needs? I agree with Katie about ruler size. I would invest in a nice cutting mat and rotary cutter. A good ream ripper, if you are like me you will make your fair share of mistakes along the way. I am excited for you. Right now you feel "out to sea", we all spend lots of time sailing around. It's a big ocean, so much to learn, so many fun things to do, so many nice people to meet. It's like a cruise of a lifetime. Enjoy :-)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:10 AM

my altos cutting system is the best and really helps me cut straight
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 AM

Other than regular equipment for sewing (scissors, seam ripper, a really good needle threader, pins and needles, etc.) there are only a few essential things to get you going.

---A good rotary cutter and mat - Get the big mat because you'll regret getting a smaller one once you get started. With the big mat you can cut across a folded width of fabric (22") and still see the markings. The smaller ones will hide the lines and you won't be accurate. I like the 60mm cutter. It's smoother and seems to last longer than the 45mm one.

---2 rulers with those dots on the bottom that resist slipping - You'll need a long one to cut across the folded width of fabric (22"). I like my 5 x 36 one really well. And, you'll need a square one for squaring off corners of your quilt or cutting angles. I like the 12 1/2" one the best. Larger ones are SO BIG, and smaller ones don't let me cut my corner far enough for my liking. Get one that has marks along the 1/4", 1/2", 3/4" lines, not just the 1" lines. It should have diagonal lines for 45 degrees, 30 and 60 degree lines are a plus at times.

Now, there are lots of other things that make quilting easier or just a lot of fun.... and I have many of them, but those basic items will get you going and you can add more things as you need them and can afford them. Getting good equipment is a little costly but you'll save yourself time and trouble and won't need to replace it all quite as fast.

Good luck with your quilting..... find a good class to get you started or a friend that has been bitten by the quilting bug and you're off to a great passion, just like the rest of us.

nanna
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 AM

Oh, I forgot to say, WELCOME to the board. You'll find so many wonderful quilters here that just love to pass on their opinions, and help. Okay, now get quilting!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 AM

Rotary cutters are a must. I prefer Fiskars Titanium Blade with comfort grip. The 45 is the most common size. You can cut about 6 layers of fabric with it. I don't like the "stick" type of cutter because sometimes my hands will tremor a bit and slip on the handle. When getting into rulers, stay with the same manufacturer. I prefer Omnigrid because they are a bit easier for me to read. The reason I say stay with the same manufacturer is because all markings may not match up between different brands. A "self healing" cutting mat is great. I would suggest one in a light color because all fabrics can be seen easily. You want a large mat. You don't want to have to be moving your fabric to get one complete cut and most fabric measures 22 inch folded.
Good neutral color thread for piecing. I prefer to use Maxi Lock light grey for my piecework. It is a thin thread and you don't get a lot of thickness at seam joins. If your machine can not hold a thread cone, you can place it in a jar behind your machine and thread as usual to use.
Good thread snips. I use Havels thread snips and love them. Good seam ripper. Once again I prefer the scalpel type made by Havels.
Quality sewing machine needles. I prefer to use Schmetz Quilting Needles in size 11.
The absolute greatest "tools" of all are quilting friends. Find a mentor who is willing to help and guide you. They are worth more than their weight in gold.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:19 AM

When I started quilting I had a Olfa rotary cutter, self healing mat, Fiskars 6"x24" ruler and a cheapie seam ripper. I still have the same things 10 years later. Along the way I added a few rulers and a bigger mat and a healthy supply of Elmer's School glue and glue sticksfor basting. Yes, you need an iron as well.