Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Must haves???

Must haves???

I am going out today to get fabric and supplies to start my very first quilt!! YAY!!! (yes I am excited) ... I am wondering what are some of you "must haves" for quilting? Want to make sure to get the right things. I know I need a cutting mat and rotary cutter (which I already have) ... fabric, scissors, thread, fabric, my pattern.. what else am I missing? I am going to be doing the "quilt as you go method" for my first one since it's going to be a large quilt!

Blog Entries
    I think with all your posts you are certainly headed toward a beautiful creation! (Starting with that wonderful sewing space you have, with all those windows and everything on hand. Only a little envious.) I wouldn't go to the fabric store without having a specific pattern and budget in mind. Read the pattern and check the supplies needed. Then check off what you already have. Don't forget the batting and the backing fabric. Go shopping with a plan, and check the list twice.
    My personal experience on my first quilts was to get only what I needed in order to be less frustrated and overwhelmed by the process. Everything fell into place after that. I was fortunate I inherited and given many sewing things, and found incredible boxes of sewing stuff at garage sales over the years. The LQS fabric and thread 'stashes' came later.
    Keep us posted!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    seam ripper
    pointer such as an awl/bamboo skewer/chopstik
    rulers - a 6" x 24" and a 12.5' square, to start
    a good steam iron
    batting
    a small full pad of sticky notes for you 1/4" seam allowance....as below

Jan in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Fabric pencils or pens to draw with. A beginner's quilting book is good to have - Quilts, Quilts, Quilts. And starch!
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I don't have much as I figure my mom and my grandmother did quilt with not much either and they succeeded very well in my own opinion. For a start, all I got was a 24"x6" ruler and some pins http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/...pins-pins.html
    you will see all kind of notions and as you make more quilts you will want more and it is perfect. Also, the main thing that helped me a lot, was a book that I read and keep going back to every now and then, teaching me some hint for different pieces. Mine is http://www.amazon.com/The-Classic-Qu.../dp/1571200703
    but there are many good books out there.

Blog Entries
    Patience!!!!
    "I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." -Confucius

https://picasaweb.google.com/home

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
    Patience!!!!
    love it
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Do you have pins?!?!?
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Some needles, silk pins or other choice, and some type of pin cushion~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

What type of batting are you planning to use?

Not sure about batting..have no idea the differences or best

Blog Entries
    Blue painter's tape, as wide as you can find. I use this in multiple ways; this is just one. Roll the tape around your hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and adhere to a convenient surface as a thread catcher. Just touch threads to it and they stick. When filled, toss and make another.

Elmer's white washable school glue. You may find this works better than pins for matching intersections when piecing, and for applying binding.

Seam ripper. I like the small, inexpensive, blue Dritz seam ripper.

Dritz adhesive seam guide refills (JoAnn's might have them) or, if you can't find that, the thickest moleskin you can find in the foot section of a pharmacy. I use these to create a physical barrier for my 1/4" seams. (Jan's above is another way to do this.) Here is a link to the Dritz refills I like best:
    http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting...dp/B0085L2Y2I/

You can wait on batting. A good one to start with is Hobbs 80/20 (80% cotton/20% poly). If you like vintage style quilts then you will want to go to 100% cotton. If you prefer fluffier quilts, you will want to try out the polys. But 80/20 is a good starting point.

Edit: Oh, yes, and at least one can of the best spray starch you can find. Later on, for the backing fabric, you may also want to purchase a quarter of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch; but that can wait.
    Last edited by Prism99; 04-23-2013 at 10:47 AM.

Blog Entries
    Rotary cutter and mat.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

ruler/s to go with the mat and rotary cutter

I've taught a lady here how to make tops and you really only need fabric, pattern, mat, cutter, ruler and seam ripper, scissors, plus thread of course and the sewing machine.

All the rest are extras in my opinion.

Of course, when you get close to the end you need your batting.

Also you need access to an iron and an ironing board or mat of some kind.
    Last edited by justflyingin; 04-23-2013 at 11:30 AM.

I love my June Tailor's Shape Cut rulers, a 1/4 inch with guide. These 2 items will really help with your accuracy.

Blog Entries
    Buy what you need for the first quilt and with the next quilt you will add to your tools what you don't have that will make the process easier. You'll find out the smaller cutting mat is too small, the ruler is either not long enough or too long, the scissors aren't that sharp, the batting is too puffy, and that thread is sure linty.
    Got fabric?

If you are planning a QAYG, you will need the batting up front along with the fabric (it all goes together at the same step)

A ruler to use with the cutting mat and rotary cutter.

Measure twice, cut once.

Nevertheless, I always buy more fabric than called for in the pattern.

You don't want to make a major booboo and find that the needed fabric isn't anywhere to be found. Extra fabric can join your stash: you'll have favorite fabrics to make a scrappy quilt down the line.

If life gives you lemons, make Limoncello!

I didn't have for my first quilt, but I bought soon after......a 1/4 inch foot for my machine. So no more guessing about seams. Other than that I have not really invested in too many gadgets. Purchased a large mat, rotary cutter and ruler as a set at Joanne's with a 50% off coupon and free shipping. To be honest I have used thin blankets for my batting so far at $5 each and the quilts feel fine (only 4 completed). I think back to my grandmother and they didn't really have much to work with so I don't stress that part. I have not done a QAYG yet, but soon maybe.

Thank you everyone for your help!!! I went to Joanns today and was a bit bummed because I thought their calico fabric was on sale this week but it was last week.. SOOO I ended up not getting any, will wait to make my quilt .. she said maybe try next week so we shall see! I did have 2 coupons and ended up buying a new rotary cutter (which I really did need) and then a set of cutter squares (it had a 12, 9, 6 and 4" in the pack).... batting was on sale, but I was overwhelmed buy all the types so walked away without it.... hate that overwhelmed feeling!!!! I am going to be doing the "quilt as you go" so I will need the batting when I start!

For quilt-as-you-go, you'll want a relatively thin batting for your first time -- nothing that says "high loft." Other folks here can better advise on which kind.

I honestly don't use much besides scissors, needles (machine and hand), straight pins, safety pins, thread, a plain old #2 pencil, a 24" steel ruler, and occasionally a carpenter's L. For handwork, such as finishing a binding, I like a pair of small scissors for snipping thread -- I can leave them on top of my work and they won't stab me in the foot if they fall off the table! LOL

Hope you find some fabric at a good price and enjoy making your quilt!

Signed,
    Not only lazy but a klutz and a cheapskate too LOL

Definitely a 1/4" foot - it will make your life so much easier. The only thing I really need that I haven't seen mentioned is a magnetic pincushion. I like that I can just toss the pins in the general direction of the pincushion while sewing. Enjoy making your first quilt!
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    I got that ruler set when it was on sale too. I love having the different size squares.

As for batting: I am a Warm Company girl which means I use warm and natural, warm and white, and recently warm blend cotton/poly 50/50 (it is available at Joann too) Those batts are predictable, easy to needle, easy to handle, and great in the wash. They can also be quilted further apart than some of the 100% cottons.

You may want to use your old rotary cutter to cut the batting and the QAYG squares. Batting dulls the blade quickly.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Find someone to mentor you - they can answer questions and give suggestions and save all kinds of heartache!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast