Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves??? >

Must haves???

Must haves???

Old 04-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your help!!! I went to Joanns today and was a bit bummed because I thought their calico fabric was on sale this week but it was last week.. SOOO I ended up not getting any, will wait to make my quilt .. she said maybe try next week so we shall see! I did have 2 coupons and ended up buying a new rotary cutter (which I really did need) and then a set of cutter squares (it had a 12, 9, 6 and 4" in the pack).... batting was on sale, but I was overwhelmed buy all the types so walked away without it.... hate that overwhelmed feeling!!!! I am going to be doing the "quilt as you go" so I will need the batting when I start!
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM

For quilt-as-you-go, you'll want a relatively thin batting for your first time -- nothing that says "high loft." Other folks here can better advise on which kind.

I honestly don't use much besides scissors, needles (machine and hand), straight pins, safety pins, thread, a plain old #2 pencil, a 24" steel ruler, and occasionally a carpenter's L. For handwork, such as finishing a binding, I like a pair of small scissors for snipping thread -- I can leave them on top of my work and they won't stab me in the foot if they fall off the table! LOL

Hope you find some fabric at a good price and enjoy making your quilt!

Signed,
Not only lazy but a klutz and a cheapskate too LOL
Old 04-23-2013, 04:37 PM

Definitely a 1/4" foot - it will make your life so much easier. The only thing I really need that I haven't seen mentioned is a magnetic pincushion. I like that I can just toss the pins in the general direction of the pincushion while sewing. Enjoy making your first quilt!
Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

I got that ruler set when it was on sale too. I love having the different size squares.

As for batting: I am a Warm Company girl which means I use warm and natural, warm and white, and recently warm blend cotton/poly 50/50 (it is available at Joann too) Those batts are predictable, easy to needle, easy to handle, and great in the wash. They can also be quilted further apart than some of the 100% cottons.

You may want to use your old rotary cutter to cut the batting and the QAYG squares. Batting dulls the blade quickly.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Find someone to mentor you - they can answer questions and give suggestions and save all kinds of heartache!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:48 PM

Quilter's safety pins in the large size.

Retayne and Shout Color Catchers
Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 PM

Batting, pins depending of how you are going to baste, seam ripper, ruler, iron, starch, these are the most common. Have fun. What pattern are you making, we would like to see the progress. I still remember completing my first quilt, very fun.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:43 PM

I always have note pads and pencils or pens close by on the table in case I need a reminder of where I left off or what I was thinking.....also I want to tell you it will be a wonderful thing to use your machine and make your first quilt! I also checked out your blog and think it is awesome! I am thinking of starting one.......is it hard to do? If you have time in your schedule and think it is okay, please pm me with steps to start a blog? Yours is sooooo cute and friendly! Thanks! Make sure to keep all of us posted on your quilting!

Last edited by cowgirlquilter; 04-23-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn View Post
Patience!!!!
grammy D has the best answer!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:19 AM

My advice, good quality SHARP, glass head pins, and flower head pins. A recent addition that I love is a wrist pin cushion.