Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves??? >

Must haves???

Must haves???

Old 04-24-2013, 10:01 AM

retailmenot.com has 50% off coupons for items not on sale at Joann's!! Distilled water for your iron, the right color thread, lingerie bag for the washing of fabric (small pieces) and Adequate light!!
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM

Don't forget the chocolate and (if you are like me) a book of prayers for when (I) mess up! Have FUN!!!!
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

You will need, a minimum of a 6 x 12" ruler, possibly a 6 x 24" ruler as well, the last handy for measuring, cutting, etc. I would also include a seam ripper (every body has to "unsew" a time or two", quilt pins, I also have a 12.5" square ruler that is so handy when squaring up blocks, patience and most important of all - have fun. Oh, and remember, there are NO quilt police, so do what you feel is right and again, have fun.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
Not sure about batting..have no idea the differences or best
I've done QAYG blocks with several types of batting, including Warm and Natural and polyester. I like Warm and Natural the best for QAYG blocks. The cotton grabs the block, providing more stability and it is very easy to sew.

I find flower head pins are extremely useful and, for my money, the best for quilting. Yes, they are expensive, but worth it. Also get yourself a metal seam measurer, one of those which have various measurements such as 1/4:, 3/8", 5/8", etc. They are not expensive and I often use mine to check for accuracy.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
I am going out today to get fabric and supplies to start my very first quilt!! YAY!!! (yes I am excited) ... I am wondering what are some of you "must haves" for quilting? Want to make sure to get the right things. I know I need a cutting mat and rotary cutter (which I already have) ... fabric, scissors, thread, fabric, my pattern.. what else am I missing? I am going to be doing the "quilt as you go method" for my first one since it's going to be a large quilt!
Seam ripper and at least one dark and one light marking pencil -------------be darned sure they are washable. I also like painters tape to mark a long 1/4" line on machine-----------sometimes to stabilize bias cuts.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by helou View Post
I don't have much as I figure my mom and my grandmother did quilt with not much either and they succeeded very well in my own opinion. For a start, all I got was a 24"x6" ruler and some pins http://store.quilting-warehouse.com/...pins-pins.html
you will see all kind of notions and as you make more quilts you will want more and it is perfect. Also, the main thing that helped me a lot, was a book that I read and keep going back to every now and then, teaching me some hint for different pieces. Mine is http://www.amazon.com/The-Classic-Qu.../dp/1571200703
but there are many good books out there.

pins, pins-------I forgot-------anyway I prefer the longer pins with the yellow ball head. Some like the flat flower head better. Try a few of each before you commit to a bunch of them
Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by gramacheri View Post
Don't forget the chocolate and (if you are like me) a book of prayers for when (I) mess up! Have FUN!!!!
caramel here-------------and french vanilla or caramel coffee creamer
Old 04-24-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
Some needles, silk pins or other choice, and some type of pin cushion~
or the magnetic tool tray from Harbor Freight or a hardware store. Skip the magnetic trays from the fabric store---------most of what I've seen are useless.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Blue painter's tape, as wide as you can find. I use this in multiple ways; this is just one. Roll the tape around your hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and adhere to a convenient surface as a thread catcher. Just touch threads to it and they stick. When filled, toss and make another.

Elmer's white washable school glue. You may find this works better than pins for matching intersections when piecing, and for applying binding.

Seam ripper. I like the small, inexpensive, blue Dritz seam ripper.

Dritz adhesive seam guide refills (JoAnn's might have them) or, if you can't find that, the thickest moleskin you can find in the foot section of a pharmacy. I use these to create a physical barrier for my 1/4" seams. (Jan's above is another way to do this.) Here is a link to the Dritz refills I like best:
http://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quilting...dp/B0085L2Y2I/

You can wait on batting. A good one to start with is Hobbs 80/20 (80% cotton/20% poly). If you like vintage style quilts then you will want to go to 100% cotton. If you prefer fluffier quilts, you will want to try out the polys. But 80/20 is a good starting point.

Edit: Oh, yes, and at least one can of the best spray starch you can find. Later on, for the backing fabric, you may also want to purchase a quarter of Sta-Flo liquid laundry starch; but that can wait.
If she is QAYG, she needs batting now. But that is such a personal choice. One thing for sure-------don't go for cheap.

and I buy the quarts of liquid starch and dilute it (use different strengths for different fabric) and spray on with a windex bottle.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:26 PM

ohhhhhhhhhhh whatever brand of rulers you get------make sure they are all the same brand--whatever brand is up to you. Not all inches are equal.