Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves??? >

Must haves???

Must haves???

Old 04-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Excited that you are about to make your first quilt. You will have fun and be proud of yourself for the accomplishment!

My list of beginning items would be:
1/4" pressure foot is important,
larger cutting mat,
.45 rotary cutter,
snipper scissors for use at machine,
ergonomic seam ripper with rubber handle so it doesn't roll off machine,
a Purple Thang,
fabric scissors,
6 x 24 " ruler,
set of squares - which you have,
flower pins (flat headed),
pump spray starch (I use Niagra),
ironing surface,
iron,
2 magnetic pin cushions (one for ironing board and one near machine - don't place too close to your electronic machines),
Elmer's washable school glue,
Washable marking pen/pencils,
fabric,
batting,
backing,
template for pattern of first quilt if available.

Looks like an endless list but you probably already have most of this in your sewing room already.

Optional: chocolate and several pop-in-the-oven dinners for family on your sewing days.

Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Excited that you are about to make your first quilt. You will have fun and be proud of yourself for the accomplishment!

My list of beginning items would be:
1/4" pressure foot is important,
larger cutting mat,
.45 rotary cutter,
snipper scissors for use at machine,
ergonomic seam ripper with rubber handle so it doesn't roll off machine,
a Purple Thang,
fabric scissors,
6 x 24 " ruler,
set of squares - which you have,
flower pins (flat headed),
pump spray starch (I use Niagra),
ironing surface,
iron,
2 magnetic pin cushions (one for ironing board and one near machine - don't place too close to your electronic machines),
Elmer's washable school glue,
Washable marking pen/pencils,
fabric,
batting,
backing,
template for pattern of first quilt if available.

Looks like an endless list but you probably already have most of this in your sewing room already.

Optional: chocolate and several pop-in-the-oven dinners for family on your sewing days.

Enjoy!
Old 04-24-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
Sign up for a beginning quilter's class! I have been sewing for over 50 years but never quilted. I learned so much in that class that I would never have learned on my own. Plus, it was very comforting to know that there was someone there to answer my questions.
Never had a sewing or quilting class. Firm believer in trial by error. LOL
Old 04-24-2013, 02:48 PM

I am back and forth about a class.. Would LOVE to take one.. but the only place around here will not let you bring your own machine, you have to use theirs (and I am not interested in learning a new machine)... I just bought a new one and want to use mine! .. I know I know.. some may thing that is just crazy.. Wish I could find another place around here that has classes, but have looked everywhere!
Old 04-24-2013, 05:19 PM

I'm a total beginner too mimmy I have finished the blocks for my 1st top but stuck deciding on the sash, and started a baby quilt. You've came to the right place for help. These folks are awesome at helping with anything from a pencil to paper piecing. I am loving the hobby and wish you the best of luck on your project & be prepared to buy a lot of fun stuff
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 PM

I too am a beginning quilter although I have been sewing for 60+ years. Have made everything from baby layettes to wedding gowns (2) as well as the bridesmaids dresses, flower girls too. Oh yes....and Mother of the Bride dresses.
BUT this quilting business is a whole other ballgame. I don't think that I have ever ripped out as much in my life. lol I have 32 of 64 log cabin squares done and keeping them square is a real challenge.
I have accumulated most of what I need as far as tools over the years...just needed measuring tools to get started. I told myself when I started that if it wasn't fun I'd quit. I've had my moments but I'm still happily at it.
Just go at it and enjoy the experience........and good luck on your first quilt.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:46 AM

Sounds like you are ready to go! Relax and have fun!!
Old 04-25-2013, 07:40 AM

I believe someone already mentioned a 12.5 inch square. That is going to be my next purchase. Also a 6.5 square is useful. I am refering to rulers.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 AM

Don't get overwhelmed! A cutting mat, 6 by 24" ruler, seam ripper, a pencil will get you started. I made several quilts with only these few supplies. Since you mentioned your doing a quilt as you as you go method I strongly recommend a walking foot for your machine. It will make your sewing so much more injoyable. Those seams can get pretty thick using this method. Once you have one, you'll have it and use it forever.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 PM

Default Add Beginner's Guide to Quilting

Originally Posted by mimmy96 View Post
I am back and forth about a class.. Would LOVE to take one.. but the only place around here will not let you bring your own machine, you have to use theirs (and I am not interested in learning a new machine)... I just bought a new one and want to use mine! .. I know I know.. some may thing that is just crazy.. Wish I could find another place around here that has classes, but have looked everywhere!
mimmy96, I am new at this too and one of the first things I purchased was a good book on quilting. I love learning something new and reading first certainly gave me a good idea of what I was doing. I purchased the Better Homes and Gardens "Complete Guide to Quilting" at Joann's and I learned so much before I ever started on a quilt. I am not sure what your knowledge level is, but mine was so limited. I never heard of a fat quarter, didn't remember anything about cutting on the grain ( I learned to sew a little in high school, but hadn't sewed since and I am 63.) I hadn't used a rotary cutter and didn't know any of the quilting jargon. I learned so much from that book and I am constantly going back to it when I have a question. I then started looking up stuff on line and watched all kinds of you tube videos and then found this quilt board, which I look forward to reading on a daily basis. Even without taking a class, I have learned so much. Just wanted to add to your list of necessities. Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new machine and quilting as much as I have.