Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Must haves for newbie quilter >

Must haves for newbie quilter

Must haves for newbie quilter

Old 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM

I agree with all of the above. You obviously have a computer which is a very helpful tool. An unlimited number of patterns and ideas as well as helpful tutorials (Missouri Star Quilt Company has lots) and help with any questions from here on the board. Best of luck.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM

My short list of specific items I love & use every day I'm quilting:
1. June Tailor Shape Cut ruler 12" x 18".
2. Creative Grid rulers. 6.5" x 24.5", 6.5" x 12.5, 7.5" x 7.5" & 1" x 10".
3. Olfa large rotary cutter.
4. Super-Fine Silk pins (got mine from Clotilde.com)
Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Lots of rulers you won't really need to get started. 6x24" is good to cut strips and about anything else that needs to be cut. I use blue painter's tape to mark the lines I will be cutting, so I don't miscut. Rotary blades and cutter and seam ripper, I like the small Dritz ripper, we are best buds. I use a large self healing 2 sided mat the most. A lot of things can be added at a later time as you need them. I use large safety pins to sandwich my quilts I have been quilting about 45-46 years.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:18 PM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

"Find a mentor who is willing to help and guide you. They are worth more than their weight in gold."
I found a mentor on this board by asking for someone to mentor me. It was the best thing I have done. She is about the smartest gal on this board and has helped me out so much. This is something I recommend. Then you can pm her and she can walk you thru what you need to get started and any difficulties you have along the way. Just my suggestion.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Welcome from NJ. I agree with some of the others here. My basic suggestions would be an 8 x 24 ruler if you can find one. The 6 or 6.5 x 24 are great but there are many patterns out there that (particularly appealing to beginners) that require a wider than 6 or 6.5 in cut. Get a self healing mat that will accommodate a 24-25 in. piece of fabric. That is the typical WOF (width of fabric) folded in half that will be referenced in directions/patterns. A 45 mm rotary cutter. You'll probably evolve to something else but that will keep you going for ages. Hand and machine needles to fit your machine. LOTS of bobbins for your machine. Load 'em up and go. IMO, everything else is a bonus. You'll find what fits your preferences and needs as you go. Invest wisely. I'd also recommend a smallish ruler - 6 x 12 - for trimming. Make sure all of your rulers are of the same manufacturer. Size DOES matter. When you go ruler shopping, take a couple of different ones and place them on top of fabrics that you like. See what works for you as to color/lines, etc. Some people like flourescent colors, others don't. What works for you is what matters. Your tastes/needs will evolve over time. Don't jump on the 'new/improved' is better bandwagon until you find what works for you.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Before you start buying rulers check to see which ones are easiest for YOU to read by laying them on several colors of fabric. I started with some Olfa yellow rulers but had a hard time seeing the mark. Then I found the Nifty Notions Rulers by Kay England that ate pink and teal. The quarter marks are 1 color and the halves are the other. They worked much better for me.

I also like the TruCut Rulers with a similar color scheme. They have a ridge their special rotary cutter rides on so you don't have to worry about accurate cutting because the cutter is riding on the ruler. You can get their nonslip disks to stick on the underside of the ruler to help hold them in place while cutting.

Your going to love your adventure in quilting.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:12 AM

Thank you very much to you all for your warm welcome and helpful advice. I have now put together my shopping list to get me started.
Kind regards.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 AM

I know what you mean. I am a newbie too and seems like I am always going and picking up something new to use for quilting! I guess it also has to do with what you are working on at the moment. One thing I could not live without is my seam ripper. LOL
Old 10-18-2012, 02:53 AM

Definitely a self-healing mat, rotary cutter, good scissors and the rulers with the stickies on the back to keep them from shifting on your fabric.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 AM

Welcome to the board. I agree with the others, but would also like to include PATIENCE. You will need it.