View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 06:23 PM
NJ Quilter

Welcome from NJ. I agree with some of the others here. My basic suggestions would be an 8 x 24 ruler if you can find one. The 6 or 6.5 x 24 are great but there are many patterns out there that (particularly appealing to beginners) that require a wider than 6 or 6.5 in cut. Get a self healing mat that will accommodate a 24-25 in. piece of fabric. That is the typical WOF (width of fabric) folded in half that will be referenced in directions/patterns. A 45 mm rotary cutter. You'll probably evolve to something else but that will keep you going for ages. Hand and machine needles to fit your machine. LOTS of bobbins for your machine. Load 'em up and go. IMO, everything else is a bonus. You'll find what fits your preferences and needs as you go. Invest wisely. I'd also recommend a smallish ruler - 6 x 12 - for trimming. Make sure all of your rulers are of the same manufacturer. Size DOES matter. When you go ruler shopping, take a couple of different ones and place them on top of fabrics that you like. See what works for you as to color/lines, etc. Some people like flourescent colors, others don't. What works for you is what matters. Your tastes/needs will evolve over time. Don't jump on the 'new/improved' is better bandwagon until you find what works for you.